• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone know the FSSC 22000 requirements for the contract manufacturing suppliers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Jamesma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:44 AM

Hi Team, 

We are a food manufacturing with FSSC 22000 certified. We are planning to contract with some manufacturers to produce and pack some other products which can not be produced in our premises due to lack of machinery . 

Does anyone know the FSSC 22000 requirements for the contract manufacturing suppliers?  It would be great if anyone can provide the link for the FSSC 22000  standard regarding Contract manufacturing suppliers. Thanks

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

As far as I see, FSSC 22000 standard does not mention contract manufacturing requirements. As far as I know (as we are co-packing for many companies), a manufacturer should comply with customer requirements (e.g. in our case, we must be GFSI certified and meet customer's expectations outlined in their Vendor operating standard)

Jamesma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for your information. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:31 AM

Hi Jamesma,

This would be covered under ISO 22000:2018 clause 7.1.6 Control of externally provided processes, products or services.

The organization shall:

a) establish and apply criteria for the evaluation, selection, monitoring of performance and re- evaluation of external providers of processes, products and/or services;

b) ensure adequate communication of requirements to the external provider(s);

c) ensure that externally provided processes, products or services do not adversely affect the organization's ability to consistently meet the requirements of the FSMS;

d) retain documented information of these activities and any necessary actions as a result of the evaluations and re-evaluations.

The extent of the requirements would be dependent on risk, but typical requirements are certification of the supplier to a GFSI benchmarked standard including a relevant scope or alternatively a supplier audit conducted by a demonstrably competent auditor (in both cases the report should be reviewed by an authorised competent person such as the Food Safety/HACCP Team Leader).

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jamesma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 05:55 AM

Thanks Tony,

I thought under ISO 22000:2018 clause 7.1.6 Control of externally provided processes, products or services is usually for externally service providers such as pest control, external calibration, maintained service, external third party lab etc...

I have almost all documents requirements from the contract suppliers such as, GFSI certification, Contract supplier agreement, PIF and CoA.

However, my concern is 

Do we need to audit the  supplier  at least once a year (low risk products)? There is no information about contract manufacturer supplier audit in the FSSC 22000 standard.  

We supply our products to Costco all around the world.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:12 AM

Just as a nitpick, there is no such thing as a "GFSI Certification" since GFSI do not certify anyone.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:19 AM

Hi James,

Usually services yes but processes and products are included in there. 

It seems that you are covering what would be expected, I would expect you to be able to justify your assessment of low risk and as such I think certification to a GFSI benchmarked standard with a relevant scope would be sufficient. The audit report should be held on site and reviewed by a competent person. The certification should be validated such as by checking out site certification and scope online via the food safety certification scheme website. I would also expect to see some verification such as independent product testing and sampling including label checks.

For Costco, I would be considering if the audit has been conducted by an approved Costco audit company to a Costco approved GFSI benchmarked scheme.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:31 AM

Just as a nitpick, there is no such thing as a "GFSI Certification" since GFSI do not certify anyone.

:yeahrite:  Although I don't tend to use it myself, is a commonly used phrase https://www.nsf.org/...y-certification

Kind regards,

Tony

Jamesma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

Thanks Tony.

Your information is really helpful. 

Our products are mostly dried fruits and vegetables with very low water activity. 

Yes,  We have RA  team to do the label checks.

The Costco Addendum audit has been conducted once a year by Bureav Vertitas 

Jamesma

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:36 AM

Thank Charles for your comments. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:59 AM

:yeahrite:  Although I don't tend to use it myself, is a commonly used phrase https://www.nsf.org/...y-certification

Kind regards,

Tony

Yes Indeed, and we all know why. $$$$.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

digitalwaiter

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada