Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:27 PM

What are people's thoughts on using degreasers such as Formula 409 and Simple Green to clean indirect product contact surfaces such as production scales, walls, ceilings, etc.?  I found documentation that Simple Green is EPA approved and USDA approved for food manufacturing facilities, but it appears that is not the case for Formula 409.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

we've been in a number of plants that use simple green with great success.

as to 409, it is not recommended due to certain chemical properties.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

r.bub

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the input.  That confirms what my thoughts were, especially on the Formula 409.  I had reviewed the SDS and it appears Formula 409 is an EPA registered pesticide.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

Simple Green also makes an organic approved version called Crystal simple green---works really well....inexpensive to boot

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:47 PM

We moved to Simple Green Crystal also. It works great and to comply with labeling and make it more cost effective, we buy it in 55 gallon barrels and dilute / refill the bottles ourselves. We just buy a case or two of Simple Green spray bottles and refill them until the label becomes illegible. That keeps us from having to generate GHS labels for secondary containers

RDM_Rep

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:36 PM

We moved to Simple Green Crystal also. It works great and to comply with labeling and make it more cost effective, we buy it in 55 gallon barrels and dilute / refill the bottles ourselves. We just buy a case or two of Simple Green spray bottles and refill them until the label becomes illegible. That keeps us from having to generate GHS labels for secondary containers

Does this require any special tracking/recording to ensure the correct ratio is met when you dilute? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:35 AM

What are people's thoughts on using degreasers such as Formula 409 and Simple Green to clean indirect product contact surfaces such as production scales, walls, ceilings, etc.?  I found documentation that Simple Green is EPA approved and USDA approved for food manufacturing facilities, but it appears that is not the case for Formula 409.

I note the above approvals however I nonetheless find this comment disturbing -

12.     Why aren't the ingredients listed on the label?

Simple Green is non-toxic. Therefore, the listing of ingredients on the label is not required by law. Simple Green's unique formula is protected under the US Trade Secrecy Act and has been extensively tested to verify the product's credentials. Simple Green complies with all current labeling requirements for ingredient disclosure on cleaning products. If you have an allergy, medical reason, or technical reason for wanting to know if Simple Green contains a particular item, please contact us at XXXX and we will help you as best we can.

https://www.motormad...formation_id=13

(the specific ingredients (bar fragrance) do in fact appear to be directly available from the manufacturer -

https://simplegreen....afer-choice.php

PS - IMEX scented cleaning products may have restricted applicability in food manufacturing facilities. (Maybe there is a non-scented version).

PPS - I found the relatively high level of Aluminium in the EPA's analysis of Simple Green rather curious -

https://www.epa.gov/...e/simple-greenr

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users