Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:35 AM

Hello everyone, I need some clarifications please. When we talk about control measures do we mean all steps, control that could reduce or eliminate the risk? For example in my company we have steps of filtration, purification and drying and during those steps we can reduce the risks of chemical/biological/and physical contamination. I should put them as a measure controls also? Or I have to put only the control/test done by the laboratory (chemical and microbiological test)? If I put them I should make two tables one for control done by laboratory and other for next steps which may reduce the risks? For more details we are preparing for FSSC 22000 certification and GMP+FSA. Regards.

Richaney Impraseuth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

If this is a risk assessment you have to list the steps that reduces and eliminates all the different types of hazards.

Physical

Biological 

chemical 

radiological

tleite@milaha.com

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 10 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hi there,

My interpretation of control measures is the information about the type of control, example: is it CCP? oPRP? QCP? CP? PRP?

Without fully knowing the details about the process cannot say if the steps mentioned "filtration, purification and drying" are control measures. The best way to find out is asking this HACCP question: "Is this step specifically designed to eliminate or reduce a food safety risk?", if yes, it is definitely a control measure. They may be in the process to reduce risk of defects non-food safety related, then they will be a QCP.

However, it the step is purely process, then it is not a control measure.

For further information, I recommend the following reference: https://safefood360....l-Measures.pdf 

• Anoop Nazeer likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Anoop Nazeer

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:18 PM

Hello everyone,

I need some clarifications please.

When we talk about control measures do we mean all steps, control that could reduce or eliminate the risk?

for example in my company we have steps of filtration, purification and drying and during those steps we can reduce the risks of chemical/biological/and physical contamination.

I should put them as a measure controls also?

or i have to put only the control/test done by the laboratory (chemical and microbiological test)?

If i put them i should make two tables one for control done by laboratory and other for next steps which may reduce the risks?

for more details we are preparing for FSSC 22000 certification and GMP+FSA

Regards

Hi fouziak,

Iso (and consequently FSSC) have recently slightly changed their definition of "control measure (CM)" to a more "narrow" interpretation, ie -

control measure (iso22000:2005)
(food safety) action or activity that can be used to prevent or eliminate a food safety hazard (3.3) or reduce it to an acceptable level

control measure (iso22000:2018)
action or activity that is essential to prevent a significant food safety hazard (3.22) or reduce it to an acceptable level (3.1)

IMO the more wide-scoped 2005 definition was preferable. The 1st version agrees with that of NACMCF and Codex HACCP methodologies.

^^^(blue) - assuming the various activities were implemented and achieved the requirement of 1st definition for a given hazard then they are all (ISO) classifiable as control measures.

However according to 2nd def., the (ISO) CM status will depend on whether a significant hazard is involved as a result of the hazard analysis.

As an example of use of "CM" for 2005 version of iso22000 can see the excel in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ge-4#entry50671

(for 2018 iso22000 Standard, column "L" apparently needs to be re-titled  eg to "Preventive Measures")

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fouziak

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:15 PM

Hi fouziak,

Iso (and consequently FSSC) have recently slightly changed their definition of "control measure (CM)" to a more "narrow" interpretation, ie -

IMO the more wide-scoped 2005 definition was preferable. The 1st version agrees with that of NACMCF and Codex HACCP methodologies.

^^^(blue) - assuming the various activities were implemented and achieved the requirement of 1st definition for a given hazard then they are all (ISO) classifiable as control measures.

However according to 2nd def., the (ISO) CM status will depend on whether a significant hazard is involved as a result of the hazard analysis.

As an example of use of "CM" for 2005 version of iso22000 can see the excel in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ge-4#entry50671

(for 2018 iso22000 Standard, column "L" apparently needs to be re-titled eg to "Preventive Measures")

So in the table i should put only the CM related to the significant risk? What about the others risks? I call that preventive measures?
The steps are mainly process steps but because of the high temperature, the changing of pH and filtration they could reduce the risks also

Edited by fouziak, 10 June 2021 - 08:17 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 June 2021 - 04:44 AM

So in the table i should put only the CM related to the significant risk? What about the others risks? I call that preventive measures?
The steps are mainly process steps but because of the high temperature, the changing of pH and filtration they could reduce the risks also

Hi fouziak,

Unfortunately the 2018 version of iso22000 has generated a variety of new semantic/operational complications in addition to those that already existed. Afaik these issues are unresolved. For example, see the detailed evaluation in this document -

Attached File  Evaluation iso22000-2018.pdf   228.64KB   35 downloads

I'm not a user of this Standard but a generic designation such as "Preventive Measures" seems inoffensive while allowing the use of "Control Measure" when subsequently referring to the control of significant hazards.

The iso-haccp status of the process steps you mention depends on the specific product/process/flowchart / risk assessment, ie (a) is there a significant hazard ? (b) If yes, is is the control measure associated with a CCP/OPRP..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

fouziak

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France

Posted 11 June 2021 - 05:58 AM

Hi fouziak,

Unfortunately the 2018 version of iso22000 has generated a variety of new semantic/operational complications in addition to those that already existed. Afaik these issues are unresolved. For example, see the detailed evaluation in this document -

Evaluation iso22000-2018.pdf

I'm not a user of this Standard but a generic designation such as "Preventive Measures" seems inoffensive while allowing the use of "Control Measure" when subsequently referring to the control of significant hazards.

The iso-haccp status of the process steps you mention depends on the specific product/process/flowchart / risk assessment, ie (a) is there a significant hazard ? (b) If yes, is is the control measure associated with a CCP/OPRP..

Thank you for your answer
What is different is that i have some insignificant risks and they are controled by PRP+ some process step. In this case i should mention also the control measure? Even if it's not requires by ISO

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users