Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:00 PM

Hi all! We recently conducted micro testing on our equipment for sanitation effectiveness. The results of the ACC count for one piece of equipment came back as 460 CFU/SWAB. An external lab was used to determine the results of the swab. My question to you is there an acceptable limit/ standard for ACC count for equipment sanitation effectiveness? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:31 PM

Hi All!

We recently conducted micro testing on our equipment for sanitation effectiveness.

The results of the ACC count for one piece of equipment came back as 460 CFU/SWAB. 

An external lab was used to determine the results of the swab. 

My question to you is is there an acceptable limit/ standard for ACC count for equipment sanitation effectiveness?

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

Hi JPFS,

I assume you tested surfaces which may contact food.

afaik no specific internationally agreed lmiits for food contact surfaces exist for APC.

See for example -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ces/#entry60958

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 September 2021 - 10:10 PM

I am not aware of any official standards for ACC.  We are a ready-to-eat facility, so we have set our standards pretty tight for food contact surfaces,  <100 cfu/swab.  For zone 2 (near FCS) we use < 2000 cfu/swab, and for zone 3 (floor, walls, etc.) we use < 3000 cfu/swab.  You should set limits for your facility that are reasonable based on your products and equipment materials.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 September 2021 - 04:29 AM

I am not aware of any official standards for ACC.  We are a ready-to-eat facility, so we have set our standards pretty tight for food contact surfaces,  <100 cfu/swab.  For zone 2 (near FCS) we use < 2000 cfu/swab, and for zone 3 (floor, walls, etc.) we use < 3000 cfu/swab.  You should set limits for your facility that are reasonable based on your products and equipment materials.

Hi Fishlady,

Unfortunately "swab" limits are meaningless without reference to the area swabbed.

Same comment applies to the OP.

From a general Sanitation POV, ATP measurements (or related parameters) are possibly of equal value. And faster.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users