• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

I've been reviewing the Supplier Management Systems - I have requested a specification for MSG from the supplier as it was missing from the folder. A week later I am still waiting for an up to date spec ........!

My worry is the source of MSG - I am aware that one of the main sources is Soya Beans. Soya is a recognised allergen in the UK - I fear the 'undeclared allergen' situation. 

Am I being overly paranoid? - I feel that without a specification I cannot rule out this risk - but the supplier isn't being very helpful!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 October 2021 - 05:18 AM

Hi,

I've been reviewing the Supplier Management Systems - I have requested a specification for MSG from the supplier as it was missing from the folder. A week later I am still waiting for an up to date spec ........!

My worry is the source of MSG - I am aware that one of the main sources is Soya Beans. Soya is a recognised allergen in the UK - I fear the 'undeclared allergen' situation. 

Am I being overly paranoid? - I feel that without a specification I cannot rule out this risk - but the supplier isn't being very helpful!

Hi Dee,

It is usual to refrain from buying a Product in the absence of a specification.

If you already have material which you consider may be suspect, I suggest you evaluate it accordingly.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 26 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

Hi Dee70; You may want to re-evaluate your Supplier Approval program as it definitely has some gaps. Prior to purchasing materials, you should do supplier assessment which must include their guarantee to comply with related regulations and provide all necessary information. Otherwise, dealing with this sort of suppliers looks like buying a cat in the sack. Under given circumstances, I don't think you could use that MSG without knowing its source: guessing is not a good strategy...

Edited by olenazh, 26 October 2021 - 12:41 PM.

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2021 - 02:42 AM

Thank you for your replies and for confirming my fears - I've actually been brought in to review the document - whoever originally wrote it made a proper mess of it! The production of products containing the potential allergen have now been suspended at my request. This is something I flagged up as an accident waiting to happen. I agree with your comments - not having a spec is a precarious state of affairs indeed! I'm still trying to obtain one but to no avail!  :headhurts:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:47 AM

If you have a fear and they will not be cooperative - find a new supplier.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2021 - 01:12 PM

Their non response makes no sense either.   If I asked any of my suppliers for something as simple as a spec sheet, it would be given to me within the hour, next day absolute latest.    This should not be a big deal to obtain.    I agree with Glenn, find a new supplier.

• olenazh likes this

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Allergens, MSG, Soya, Undeclared Alergens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users