• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to create an effective system that would eliminate the storage of food in the lockers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Infodolphin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:19 AM

Hi, we are a 24/7 facility with multiple shifts. We are having issues with food in our lockers and I was looking for ideas on how to create an effective system that would eliminate the storage of food in the lockers. All our employees are trained and "know" they should not keep food in the lockers but we also use alot of temps. The lockers are currently 1st come 1st serve and are lockable for security.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:53 AM

A couple of issues there.

1) People should not be allowed to use their own locks on lockers.

2) You didn't specify what type of lockers they are. If possible, I would recommend expanded metal doors, so you can easily audit what is in the lockers.

3) Your "training" is not sufficient, or there is no follow up to ensure people are doing what they "know" they are supposed to be doing. Might want to take a look at that.

4) You don't have sufficient locker capacity.

If you don't enforce "one locker per person per shift", people are not going to remove their locks.

If you don't have an easy way to monitor/inspect lockers, people are not likely to follow what the policy is.

Easier said than done, but you should consider assigning lockers, so that if there is an issue, you who to coach/retrain/discipline.

Sometimes it's difficult to "enforce" the rules, but if you allow loopholes, it's human nature to take advantage of them.

If your policy says "no food in lockers", then you need to do whatever is necessary to ensure that you can prove that you are doing what you say.

Say what you do....do what you say... be able to prove it.

Marshall

• Setanta likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

CaliforniaFS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 127 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 July 2022 - 04:22 AM

I want to add to Marshall.

Where are the employees supposed to put their food? Not only do you need to have better training and enforcements of your no food in locker policy... you also need to offer a space for food storage. They are most likely putting their food in the lockers because a space has not been provided elsewhere. 

I had a similar issue with a previous site, we purchased used glass panel refrigerators double door, it stored all of the employees food stuff, there was an SSOP and SOP established for the refrigerator and the sanitation supervisor ensured one of their team members verified it was being followed at the end of each break. We replaced the old lockers with the see through lockers, do a search on those, they are affordable. 

• Gelato Quality Lead likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 July 2022 - 11:49 AM

What is the issue with food storage in their lockers? 

Are there problems with rotting or pests?
Having some well packaged shelf stable food in your own lockers doesn't seem like a problem to me. Why can't they leave my packed lunch or candy bar with my personell belongings?

At a previous location we had issue's with people storing their food in places they shouldn't (mainly production cold storage).
We found out that their stuff would go missing if stored in the employee fridge.
If you loose your lunch a couple of times you will do that.

Find out with your employee's what drives their behaviour (rules unknown, low trust in other employee's, lost foods, ease). And tackle that.

I would also eliminate your first-come first-serve locker policy. It sounds to me like it promotes ''resource guarding'' for a locker with employee's.
Get enough lockers for all personell. 

Perhaps get a ''clean locker policy'', in which lockers should be empty at the end of the day/week. Have someone with a master key/code clean them out after shifts. This will eliminate the food rotting.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

DmJ90

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:15 PM

Retrain with a toolbox talk and then begin random locker audits through part of a GMP exercise? Have encountered them before. Ultimately you can't chastise people unless there's provision for them to store food elsewhere. Normally the issue is attracting pests and potential contamination of PPE / eating outside of allocated areas. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 22 July 2022 - 12:21 PM

Where are the lockers stored?  For instance, I have worked at a place where employee lockers are right at the employee entrance which happens to be in the break room, thus food in the lockers would be ok.  If they are right outside production, then I can understand not wanting food in them.  Also I agree with what was said that you need to see what is driving the behavior. Do you not have storage in the break room for them to store their items?  If not, then you need to get a shelf and fridge.  Is someone 'stealing' their food items when left in the break room?  If so, maybe install a camera.  Just some ideas to think about.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 22 July 2022 - 01:26 PM

I love what a couple of our clients do...

1. Lockers are made available as a conveinence to you.

2. The company owns the lockers and therefore it is the conpany that dictates requirements governing their use.

3. Because the company owns the lockers along with the locks on the lockers the company can look into tbe locators without the need to contact the user.

4. Should any of tge following items be dound inside tge locker that employyee or tenporary worker is subject to termination.

A. Food
B. Drinks
C. Drugs
D. Weapons
E. Any item that is not in accodance with the company gmps as posted and trained on.

They each inspect lockers 1-2 times a week and normally fire 2 or so people a week.

Easy peasy. Dont obey the rules, dont have to work here.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2022 - 03:16 PM

", I have worked at a place where employee lockers are right at the employee entrance which happens to be in the break room, thus food in the lockers would be ok.  "

Food in lockers anywhere attracts pests---this might actually be the worst possible location to store food in lockers with pests being introduced right there!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 2 Members:
Charles.C , Infodolphin

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 July 2022 - 04:49 PM

We are similar.  24 hr production, no food in locker policy.

We have locker inspections and remove/discard anything that shouldn't be in the locker.

There are refrigerators available as well as racks to keep lunchboxes/coolers on in the lunchroom.

The lockers are for their clothes, wallets, keys, phone, etc..

That said, I will overlook a (plastic) water bottle, but that's it.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 22 July 2022 - 07:21 PM

Hi, we are a 24/7 facility with multiple shifts. We are having issues with food in our lockers and I was looking for ideas on how to create an effective system that would eliminate the storage of food in the lockers. All our employees are trained and "know" they should not keep food in the lockers but we also use alot of temps. The lockers are currently 1st come 1st serve and are lockable for security.

We also have a lot of temps. Everyone is assigned/picks a locker and provided a lock by HR. HR has the list and keys. We also have temp lockers that have no locks. If a temp is with us for longer than 30 days, they get a permanent locker. Locker location has been by decided by seniority of the employee. If you were to go to assigned lockers - I would go by length of employment in choosing which locker they want. Food items are stored in the break room on shelves or the fridge. Cameras in the break room deter most of the stealing of food. We have locker clean out monthly and spray quarterly for pests.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 25 July 2022 - 11:03 AM

Food in lockers anywhere attracts pests---this might actually be the worst possible location to store food in lockers with pests being introduced right 

There was no open food stored in them.  Just cans, and sealed bags of food.  Lunch boxes and such were stored on a shelf.  No issues with pests in the 3 years I worked there.  Staff cleaned out their lockers weekly and break room area was cleaned daily.  I guess it depends on what other aspects you have in place.  Nice part was, no auditor ever looked through the lockers as they stated they were no in a direct area out in production.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Infodolphin

Infodolphin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2022 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for your responses.

We do provide refrigerators and shelves for food items.

The lockers are completely see through allowing for inspection which are done on a regular basic. 

We are in the process of revamping the locker policy to eliminate this issue. Thanks again for your input!

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 July 2022 - 05:52 PM

Every second Friday, I open every locker, and anything that's left in them goes in the trash.  You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we've found.  

We post a warning for locker clean out, but if they leave something in, it's gone, and they know it.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lockers food, cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users