• 50 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hello

A quick query.....

We pack potatoes in to vertical form fill bags for a major retailer. The Listeria and general micro risk is considered negligible due to the nature of the product. It requires cooking at temperatures and times that will kill pretty much everything, and the potato surface is not a great medium for pathogenic bacteria.

We have an effective cleaning system in place to reduce any bacterial loading but i expect a certain level in the washing and drying side of the process. I feel these controls are adequate to provide safe product considering its proposed use. Any comments?

Cheers

Adam

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:07 AM

Hello

A quick query.....

We pack potatoes in to vertical form fill bags for a major retailer. The Listeria and general micro risk is considered negligible due to the nature of the product. It requires cooking at temperatures and times that will kill pretty much everything, and the potato surface is not a great medium for pathogenic bacteria.

We have an effective cleaning system in place to reduce any bacterial loading but i expect a certain level in the washing and drying side of the process. I feel these controls are adequate to provide safe product considering its proposed use. Any comments?

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam

IMO the key to this is if you have verified that there is no potential for toxin production and any micro loading you work to is reduced to safe levels by the cooking instructions on your label with a safety margin built in.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

Dear Adam,

An equivalent answer to Tony's comment is -

What is the (microbiological et al) specification for your packed product ?

Hopefully not [infinite] TPC / L.mono based on expected final treatment.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:17 AM

IMO.. to make sure your opinion.. you have to analize your product to external lab.. I think once per year is enough...

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

IMO.. to make sure your opinion.. you have to analize your product to external lab.. I think once per year is enough...

If you have an accredited laboratory why would you need to use an external laboratory?

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users