Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

One of the things picked up in our BRC audit was below standard record keeping out on the production floor.

The main issue was not initalling crossings out. I want to put together a training document for the operators especially on CCPs, that will give them an idea of good record keeping, so once more, I ask for input from you people.

What are the most important issues for accurate and precise record keeping?

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

4.2.4 of ISO 9001says (in part):

Records shall be established and maintained to provide evidence of conformity to requirements and of the effective operation of the quality management system. (My emphasis)

4.2.3 of ISO 22000 says (in part):

Records shall be established and maintained to provide evidence of conformity to requirements and of the effective operation of the FSMS. (My emphasis)

First, go through the standard and look for any reference to 4.2.4 or 4.2.3. Where you are required to keep records you will find (4.2.4 or 4.2.3). That tells you which records need to be "established and maintained." This should be considered a minimum list.

Second approach, go to each manager/department/process owner and find out the following key points:

1. What kinds of records you have
2. Who's responsible for them
3. That they're appropriately stored and managed, including kept confidential where needed, and protected etc
4. That you can get them when you need them
5. When you no longer need them, you dispose of them suitably. (hence, retention periods and disposal methods).

And yes, it includes electronic records, backups etc, not just hardcopy.

Prepare your records list by department, so it becomes easy to use and update by your personnel.

Edited by mind over matter, 05 September 2011 - 10:44 AM.

mikysya

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Ukraine
    Ukraine

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

I just used actual forms for training, filled them incorrect, highlighted mistakes and showed them and explained how to do it correctly. That helps a lot. People know what you want from them and you get good record keeping

Thanked by 1 Member:
ScottN_AMQA

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:47 AM

One of the things picked up in our BRC audit was below standard record keeping out on the production floor.

The main issue was not initalling crossings out. I want to put together a training document for the operators especially on CCPs, that will give them an idea of good record keeping, so once more, I ask for input from you people.

What are the most important issues for accurate and precise record keeping?

IMO, there are three most important issues related to record keeping:

1- Purpose of existence: The document controller should first assess by himself or herself that whether the format is actually necessary to exist or not. Many times we incorrectly use the famous slogan related to ISO management standards that "Write what you do and do as what you have written". One should consider what we can gain by developing a particular format. If you make an superfluous documentation system than you would not be justified in claiming of its ignorance and ineffectiveness.

2- Importance: Understanding the importance of making records keeping in mind the consequences of 'not recording' or 'incorrect recording'. This goal could be achieved by prior awareness or training to highlight the importance of particular record keeping before distributing the format. Further tools includes post-distribution close monitoring and on-spot correcting the mistakes, taking serious actions on violating the rules and procedures. Relate the behavior of user towards importance of record keeping to the annual or other monitory benefits/performance of that user.

3- Format: Format should easy to understand and relevant person should know how to fill it. There should be no language problem, no ambiguous wordings, no complex procedure to fill out. There should be proper awareness or training how to fill the format. Consider mikysya's advice- it's a good one indeed.

4- Convenience: Format should be convenient to fill out. For example provide multiple common options to select against a particular item in the format instead of leaving blank space for writing by the user.

Hope it would be helpful:
Regards:
M.Zeeshan.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users