Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

HI good morning, we are a ready to eat food plant. We have a problem in that we dn't want cross contamination to occur in the factory. For instance food comes from the low risk area (cooking/baking) and goes to the fridge to cool down, then how do you get the food in the high risk area without cross contamination occuring without decanting?:helpplease: or is decanting the only way? that also means loosing yield of the product.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

HI good morning, we are a ready to eat food plant. We have a problem in that we dn't want cross contamination to occur in the factory. For instance food comes from the low risk area (cooking/baking) and goes to the fridge to cool down, then how do you get the food in the high risk area without cross contamination occuring without decanting?:helpplease: or is decanting the only way? that also means loosing yield of the product.

Dear idolene,

IMEX (not baking), the input to a cooking unit may be low risk but the output (ie exit) is automatically not, as you imply.

I am guessing you mean by "decanting" that material is transferred from original (low risk) infeed containers into (high risk) output ones. This is my experience with seafood but the problem is less complex since the input material is itself laid onto a conveyor so 2 sets of containers are not inconvenient.

IMEX, separate freezers are also necessary for high/low risk finished products, eg RTE/non-RTE so this tends to define 2 types of flow stream. Maybe you don't produce any non-RTE products.

I suspect a compromise is going to be made somehow/somewhere but no doubt the baking group will respond more accurately. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi Idolene,

I think you need to describe your process if you want useful advise from members. Depending on the format they come in, items can be transferred to high risk through for instance a sanitisation station (example: buckets of sauces).

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users