• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Ugh.

So, the "powers that be" ... without consulting me, have decided to utilize temp workers from an outside agency in order to ... well I don't really know. Depends on who you ask. Could be for:

Cheaper general labor
Help through the "busy season"
... or whatever.

Anyway, aside from the unbelievable training burden this will now be placing on me, what else should I have in mind as I begin to see random new faces pop up? The agency that provides them does thorough background checks, so from a food defense standpoint I'm at least minimally covered in that regard.

Thoughts? Preferably thoughts that start and end with "NO TEMPS"

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

I suppose I should add that I was brought on to prepare us for our initial SQF certification audit, tentatively scheduled for November.

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

We use temps and our auditor had no issue provided that there was documentation that they had adequate GMP, HACCP training, and knowledge of the SOP's, SSOP's and on the job training so that they would be able to do their jobs properly. Documentation is really important!!!

I also emphasized that temps were not given "critical jobs" where food safety and/or regulatory issues could result. Use of temps is not uncommon in any industries that are cyclic in nature. Also, keep in mind that if everyone in your company's workforce speaks English and the Temp Agency is sending non-English workers this will present a problem since 2.9.5.1 states "Training materials and the delivery of training shall be provided in a language understood by staff".

Read 2.9 Training (Version 7). Its short, clear and concise.

I would find out if the temp agency does a background check for their workers since this could present Food Defense issues. I'd also ask "powers that be" to put you in the loop regarding this practice since improper use of temps will mosy likely result in some NC's with your SQF auditor.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

Ugh.

So, the "powers that be" ... without consulting me, have decided to utilize temp workers from an outside agency in order to ... well I don't really know. Depends on who you ask. Could be for:

Cheaper general labor
Help through the "busy season"
... or whatever.

Anyway, aside from the unbelievable training burden this will now be placing on me, what else should I have in mind as I begin to see random new faces pop up? The agency that provides them does thorough background checks, so from a food defense standpoint I'm at least minimally covered in that regard.

Thoughts? Preferably thoughts that start and end with "NO TEMPS"

NO TEMPS is a great idea if it is possible but you could work some of the training into your contract with the temp service and require them to do it before employees are sent to you. Our temp service would provide training and then upon arrival on site our HR department would give a short quiz and sign off that demonstrated they new the basics. We also kept them on packaging lines so they were not handling food directly (not always possible)

We were doing this when we used temps regularly (and also for contractors) but luckily our "powers that be" went the other direction and said NO TEMPS.

(There you go, I started and ended with "NO TEMPS"!) :clap:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Temporary Labor is a big challange to control. I will suggest to put a training program together for the temp agency to give to their employees to sign so at least they have the basics berfore they come to the operation and you have record of it. Example; GMP's, some prerequisite programs and company's rules and regulations. Also, as much as possible, place a temporary worker with a regular worker in non-critical areas.

Most Temporary agencies are now using e-verify and have in file a Letter of Guarantee describing their commitment of their services such as background checks, drug testing, and skills match. U
nfortunately, you will get what you paid for from these agencies sometimes.

Try to have the Temp Agency do as many of the work as possible and monitored from your end.

I hope this helps.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 285 posts
  • 108 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

NO TEMPS is a great idea if it is possible but you could work some of the training into your contract with the temp service and require them to do it before employees are sent to you. Our temp service would provide training and then upon arrival on site our HR department would give a short quiz and sign off that demonstrated they new the basics. We also kept them on packaging lines so they were not handling food directly (not always possible)

We were doing this when we used temps regularly (and also for contractors) but luckily our "powers that be" went the other direction and said NO TEMPS.

(There you go, I started and ended with "NO TEMPS"!) :clap:

Now that's some quality work :thumbup:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:46 AM

To what extent the temp agency does back-ground checks is many times based on how much the company is paying. Temporary workers as you note are a bit of burden from a training standpoint so make sure you review all the SQF codes (V7) pertaining to the various types of trainiing and keep in mind that the temps will need to be trained on SQF and on the management policy as the auditor will conduct "interviews" with employees at random to ascertain knowledge in these areas.

If the temp agency is doing any kind of training for the temps going to work in your plant be sure to find out what the training is, I've seen the good, the bad, and the downright ugly when it comes to what some of these agencies do.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users