Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

We have a back-up producer identified in our Buisness Continuity Plan and have had them sign an agreement for our file. In the signed document it states the term of the agreement which includes a five year contract. Although our Business Continuity Plan must be reviewed on an annual basis, what is the implied interpretation of this caluse in regards to needing this letter signed on an annual basis if the terms state 5 years? Would a email for our files stating confirmation with our back-up producer fullfill this requirement? Any thoughts?

Also, I am having a difficult time outlining action plans for every type of disaster that could occur. Would a summary of the basic steps meet the standard? If not, does anyone have any suggestions or flow charts I could use....I am running out of time, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Strider

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi jalvarado,

In my umble opinion a Business Continuity Plan should be as generic as you can make it, just include examples of causes that could stop your production, e.g plane crashing into the factory, the central database destroyed by water etc. All disasters will require a team of key staff to recover the business.

Your plan could include;

Consideration of which team members will be in the disaster recovery team and roles for key members (team leader, press officer, client liason, etc.)

The team will have a few simple tasks to complete;

Assess the length of time it will take the business to return to adequate production to supply the customers
Assess the length of time current stocks will last
Assess if subcontractiong will be required and organise it if required.

Having a contract in place already is a very proactive step which will impress most auditors (or it should !!). As for the annual review of the contract, all that is needed is that you inspect the contract to ensure it is not due to expire in the next year.

Thanked by 1 Member:
jalvarado

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

The five year letter that you have on file will suffice.

Your BCP can be based on the known threats to your facility, not on every single one known to man-kind.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:
jalvarado

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hello Jalvarado,

As indicated by strider, i agreed with his statements. But in addition to his steps, i would add few things.
1 who contacts your contract customer to start production for u
2 Who makes a disposition of effected raw material and finished product
3 who updates all employees about when production will be resumed
4 who inspect facility and approve it for productucion
5 who manages clean up after disaster
6 Who contacts customer (in case you are co man)
7 Add any time limits if needed
8 Add some details on how management will communicate with each other during disaster resoonce

Hope this helps

Thanked by 1 Member:
jalvarado

Katja

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hello Jalvarado,

As indicated by strider, i agreed with his statements. But in addition to his steps, i would add few things.
1 who contacts your contract customer to start production for u
2 Who makes a disposition of effected raw material and finished product
3 who updates all employees about when production will be resumed
4 who inspect facility and approve it for production
5 who manages clean up after disaster
6 Who contacts customer (in case you are co man)
7 Add any time limits if needed
8 Add some details on how management will communicate with each other during disaster resoonce

Hope this helps

From experience i would say to make sure you include how the product, raw material equipment are evaluated to see if they can be used. Also make sure to include a positive hold program. for example say that the production area, raw materials and finished producted affected are put on hold until they can be evaluated then include how they will be evaluated.

In terms of what kind of disasters to include, think of the logical applicable things such as, flood, fire, power outage, pandemic, transport strike, problem with water supply. If you are not at risk for a flood say why, historically no floods in area since such and such date...Only include the likely possible risks you may face
be general but give some criteria such as if the power is off for more than 6 hours verify the temperature of the freezer or fridge every hour.
good luck

Mohammed Ashmawy

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:58 PM

can any one share example of BCP with me :helpplease:

Share this