Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Is it required that a business hires an outside pest control company? Or can the business monitor and control pests by themselves? I'm assuming they must be certified? Thanks!

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

Is it required that a business hires an outside pest control company? Or can the business monitor and control pests by themselves? I'm assuming they must be certified? Thanks!

That all depends on where you are located. At my previous job in Tennessee, we had to contract out, because obtaining a pesticide application license was not possible unless you worked for a pest control company.

Currently, I do all pest control in house because in Ohio, I can get a application license.

It all boils down to your location and preference. Personally I prefer to do pest control (inspections, monitoring, application, etc.) in house because that gives me direct control over the program. I have had bad experiences with contracted pest control and have fired more than a few companies that would not perform up to my expectations.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:
guillenclau

Barry Fair

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for sharing it.

Laura Hedley

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

I depends on building a pest control team in that business. If you have a strong and good pest control staff in your business then there is no need of pest control company to contract with.. But if business man thinks that it is difficult to build that amazing team then he can contract with any outsourcing pest control company...

Empirestate

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

We hire a company. It takes a lot of pressure off you as they have all the correct documentation on file which makes the audit a breeze.

DuckMan

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:BRC, 21CFR 111, Vitamin Supplement Manufacturing, Family (my newborn daughter Elizabeth), F.S.M. (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism) Reggae, ONE LOVE, ONE HEART

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

As stated above, it is subject to local regulation and depends on where your standing however,

IMHO the use of chemicals is one tier of pest control. The more important aspects involve stopping pest ingress, and making the environment less hospitable (ie. getting everything food and equipment alike at least 6 in off the floor, maintaining 18in isles in storage areas and other areas to provide for a method of cleaning and again making the environment less hospitable.  A "Pest Exclusion" plan is better that a pest control plan. All that being said, I is in-house pest control is being conducted, and there is ANY evidence of pest activity during an inspection I would immediately state that it's time for a professional to intervene.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

As stated above, it is subject to local regulation and depends on where your standing however,

IMHO the use of chemicals is one tier of pest control. The more important aspects involve stopping pest ingress, and making the environment less hospitable (ie. getting everything food and equipment alike at least 6 in off the floor, maintaining 18in isles in storage areas and other areas to provide for a method of cleaning and again making the environment less hospitable.  A "Pest Exclusion" plan is better that a pest control plan. All that being said, I is in-house pest control is being conducted, and there is ANY evidence of pest activity during an inspection I would immediately state that it's time for a professional to intervene.

Good advice duckman. :quack:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users