Grade - Active

• 4 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hi All,

I am new to IFSQN since Monday, and I must say I have found your site to be very professional and informative. However, here is my problem, I work for a company that bakes rum cakes for export worldwide and we are going for HACCP certification, SQI standard in 2014. I am concerned about the regulations governing the declaration of alcohol percentage in non-beverages. Is there any regulation that anyone knows about which dictates what level or percentage of alcohol can be claimed for the cake to be labelled as a confectionary item and to avoid any duties and taxes? I have searched everywhere and found none. Can the experts please help me?

Flopeart

mesophile

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 142 thanks
Good

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Twitter @DSi77

Chartered Scientist (CSci)
    Member of IFST (MIFST)
    Avid guitar player, dog walker and fitness trainer.
    I love reading, and learning about new fields in food science and technology.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Good Morning 

Unfortunately each country has its own legislation linked with foods therefore you will need to look at the country you are producing the product in and the countries you are exporting too - as each may be different!

Your best bet is to send a sample from start, middle and end of production run to an accredited laboratory and test the alcohol content in each of these. You may find there is no alcohol as through the cake cooking process all of the alcohol has evaporated and you are only left with the rum flavours. If this is the case then problem solved!

Many thanks

Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:
Florence Reid

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users