• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC vs. SQF which would be better and why?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jhagel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hello,

My company is looking for a side by side comparison of SQF vs. BRC. We initially had decided to go with SQF, but now there is some interest in BRC. Does anyone have any input on which one would be better and why? Our business is flexible packaging.

Thank you,

J

jel

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 33 thanks
Good

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

I think both SQF and BRC or FSCC 22000 are excellent food safety management systems. 

I think the decision to choose may be more in other aspects such as acceptance that might have any of the other systems to meet the expectations of your customers

Thanked by 1 Member:
jhagel

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

I have been audited to them both... now... depending on your CB and individual auditor (I cant say I have a huge sample size), but I did find SQF to be very document labor incentive. Not to say that BRC is not, but the way BRC is set up and the wording, one just does not seem to have to jump through all of the document hoops when clause just does not apply.  The same FSMS ideas in the 2 standards, just worded and interpreted differently. However, this may be more of a comment on the actual auditor background, experience and focus.

I would wait for some other feedback though. 

-B

Thanked by 1 Member:
jhagel

Hankesg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

This is speaking a little more in the abstract, but as a fairly young company attempting to shed a lot of habits BRC is a little easier to work with/around then SQF. I look at this way: SQF seems to be better for larger companies with a lot of solid structure in place and to polish in terms of food safety. BRC is a good springboard to build those systems for smaller/growing companies.

That being said, they're both monumental tasks and your executive team needs to realize that achieving them is a commitment in terms of culture, finances, and labor.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Dear jhagel,

Below are mainly general comments rather than specific to packaging.

SQF has some  individual peculiarities with respect to HACCP. Some of these are well documented within this forum. Any relevance may depend on the level of yr technical backup. It also involves the (profitable?) notion of "Practitioner".

SQF allows expansion into quality (=non-safety) topics if required.

SQF provides extremely useful, free, guides except that occasionally the content is disregarded for audit purposes.

BRC tends to adhere more to the classic HACCP references. 

BRC offers 2 levels for packaging.

BRC involves further investment if you wish to acquire their "customised" guidelines to Interpretation of the Standard. (true for food, packaging dunno).

But, as already noted, the primary drive may be from the customer side.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Hello,

My company is looking for a side by side comparison of SQF vs. BRC. We initially had decided to go with SQF, but now there is some interest in BRC. Does anyone have any input on which one would be better and why? Our business is flexible packaging.

Thank you,

J

Why not check and see if your customers/potential customers have a preference?

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users