• Quick Navigation
Photo

Why do the wealthy countries have more allergen issues?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

jcruzborreros

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines
  • Interests:Food Safety updates
    Game Consoles
    Movies (Star Wars, Marvel)

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hi Everyone!

Very interesting topic indeed!The inputs are great!Just let me share my experience and point of view as one of the not so rich countries.

I can relate greatly to the Acquired Immunity explanation. I came from the Philippines and most of the children here including me spent childhood playing outside, exposed on the environment that I cannot guarantee always to be clean. As kids we don't really care since it was the only way we thought then of having fun. During that period I was still very sensitive on the foods I eat since I easily got sick but then after sometime in my teenage years I stopped being sick and was already able to eat all kinds of food with no allergic reactions up to this date. I have also known locals and even friends of mine that were originally allergic to chicken and seafoods that consumed such foods in small quantities. and after sometime, was able to consume it already with large quantity with no more allergic reactions. Although, I have not found a scientific study yet proving enducing small quantities of such allergic foods can cure or develop immunity for such allergic reaction.

Best Regards,

Joven

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hi Everyone!

Very interesting topic indeed!The inputs are great!Just let me share my experience and point of view as one of the not so rich countries.

I can relate greatly to the Acquired Immunity explanation. I came from the Philippines and most of the children here including me spent childhood playing outside, exposed on the environment that I cannot guarantee always to be clean. As kids we don't really care since it was the only way we thought then of having fun. During that period I was still very sensitive on the foods I eat since I easily got sick but then after sometime in my teenage years I stopped being sick and was already able to eat all kinds of food with no allergic reactions up to this date. I have also known locals and even friends of mine that were originally allergic to chicken and seafoods that consumed such foods in small quantities. and after sometime, was able to consume it already with large quantity with no more allergic reactions. Although, I have not found a scientific study yet proving enducing small quantities of such allergic foods can cure or develop immunity for such allergic reaction.

Best Regards,

Joven

I think there is a fair bit of research going on around desensitization-but it is very early days

I quite like this graphic comparing lifestyles in 'western' vs 'developing' countries which nicely summarises everyone's input so far

nri1001-069a-f1.gif

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Mr. Incognito

"Mostly Harmless"

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,571 posts
  • 272 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Hi Everyone!

Best Regards,

Joven

I did see a story once where they talked about using small amounts of allergenic food on people who were allergic to try to make it so their response was lower or removed.  I honestly can't remember where I saw it but I do remember reading it.  It may have been linked on here somewhere.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Incognito

:tardis:

Mr. Incognito is a cool frood who can travel the width and breadth of the galaxy and still know where his towel is.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users