Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

I am curious to know what other facilities are doing in regards to footwear in a dry clean operation.

For example, in a wet clean environment you would normally see a foot bath/boot wash type of set up upon entry to mitigate any potential risk.  

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

I believe the variable here is if a facility is ready to eat or not.

-Setanta         

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

Well we manufacture pet treats that are RTE essentially.

stim

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

I worked in a RTE environment where powdered blends were manufacturered. We did not have anything at the doors into the plant for cleaning footwear. I remembered being surprised when workers were allowed outside with the same shoes they wore inside without any means of sanitizing. I guess the thinking was that the floor will always be unclean, and any product that touches the floor is inedible so what does it matter if the shoes worn are unclean? Also there was minimal Listeria issues in a dry environment.

From a safety perspective, there was also the issue of the treads on shoes becoming gummed up as the powders built up and were never cleaned. A slip hazard if anything!

I would be interested to hear what others have to say.

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

We are currently testing out a powder sanitizer that we are using in a rubber mat that the employee's walk through. We have found that it sticks to the bottom of the shoes well and doesn't create a 'mess' throughout the facility. We haven't fully implemented yet, but plan to do so.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Cravin'Cajun?

PetBone

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

I had used a granular substance in the past at a wet clean environment which serves a couple purposes.

1. Sanitized wheels of carts, pallet jacks etc
  2. At shift clean up the product was washed down the drain which served as a drain sanitizer as well

However we used foot baths/boot washers for the shoe piece of the equation

vladislavdanchev

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi all,

I am currently working in a dry blending environment and we have outside shoes and before we go to production we change them with white production shoes.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Cravin'Cajun?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Dear PetBone,

The EU POV seems fairly relaxed -

Attached File  FEDIAF, 2010.pdf   539.75KB   59 downloads

Does yr product / environment specification include L.mono ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
chu lin

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

I've worked in dry clean facilities with shoe covers past kill step/in packaging  and pull over rain boots for the raw area.  Foot baths or anything introducing water is problematic.  The booties too were a pain.  In the end we ended up going with a walkthrough sanitizer sprayer with a sticky mat leading out, it costs roughly 10k, but sanitizes the shoes and it's only alcohol, so it evaporates by the end of the mat.  Due to our size / # of employees, the mat had to be changed out after breaks, lunches, etc.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

CMHeywood

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 119 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

I work for a company that makes film packaging for food products.  We are a dry environment but we have had problems with people tracking Listeria welscheri (sp?) into the plant.  This is not the L. monocytogenes species that kills people.

We have not identified the source since Listeria occurs in soil, in animal feces, etc.  We have bird droppings outside of our plant.  I think that people are picking it up from the droppings, especially when it is wet outside due to rain, etc.

We allow people to wear their work shoes home and to keep them in the same locker as their street shoes.  We also let delivery people walk through our plant.  This is a great potential for cross contamination.

The only way we could control it is to use foot baths with Quaternion Ammonia solution and carpets for drying the shoes.  You would have to do swabbing to prove that people aren't tracking in stuff on the bottom of their shoes.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users