Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Root Cause Analysis to Ensure Continual Improvement
Ruth Bell, Senior Consultant, AF Associates

This Live Webinar is taking place: 09 January 2015 - 03:00 PM - 04:00 PM GMT

In this webinar you will learn techniques that will help you get to the root cause of problems in order to identify preventative measures and drive continual improvement. Root Cause Analysis is a method of problem solving that tries to identify the root causes of faults or problems, and is a useful technique to adopt to investigate non conformances raised at audit or as a result of incidents. A root cause is a cause that once removed from the problem fault sequence, prevents the final undesirable event from recurring. RCA uses a number of techniques to get to the root cause of the problem and in this way preventative measures can be identified and implement to prevent the problem recurring, along with the benefit of contributing to continual improvement.

• HOSSAM26 likes this

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
weloveplastic

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

If anyone has a question you would like answering during the webinar you can ask here.  

You may also ask in the webinar.

Let me know if you are attending later today...we have 1,100 registered.  

Not sure how many will turn up this afternoon.  I think 300 would be a good result.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

Good luck with today Simon, I know you've worked hard to arrange these, and it is much appreciated.

Caz x

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

I am planning on attending.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

I had an appointment pop up, but I'll be checking it out after it is uploaded to the web.  Good Luck!

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

It's soon right?  Like 20 mins?

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

It was a great webinar, Simon!

Audio and visual were very good. Better than on some internal webinars from the CB I am working.

Keep on the good job!

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

it_rains_inside

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 341 posts
  • 98 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

Great show Simon! (and Ruth!)

I agree with Madam A. D-tor, audio and visual were amazing. 

And I got a certificate  :sleazy:

So here is my question, Are others using Root Cause / Corrective Action as a KPI? If yes, How? (What graphics are being used to communicate) What data is being used to plot improvement?

Number of RC/ CA investigations that occur Monthly? Quarterly? Annually?

Timeliness of Completion of investigations?

Internally / Externally Initiated investigations?

Resources spent of RC/CA investigations?

Edit** Review of RC/CA for recurring issues?

Edited by it_rains_inside, 09 January 2015 - 04:15 PM.

"Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be"

-Wayne W. Dyer

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

Only got to see the last 15 minutes, but what I saw was great.  Did a save-as for the certificate so I have it on my computer.  I'll watch the first part when it is put up on the site.

Great program, super series!

Thanks, Simon, for putting it all together. :biggrin:

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Dear Simon / Ruth,

Excellent presentation and a mellifluous speaker(s).

The tabs were somewhat bewildering but superb video/audio.

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RG3

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 501 posts
  • 169 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them" Albert Einstein

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Great show Simon! (and Ruth!)

I agree with Madam A. D-tor, audio and visual were amazing. 

And I got a certificate  :sleazy:

So here is my question, Are others using Root Cause / Corrective Action as a KPI? If yes, How? (What graphics are being used to communicate) What data is being used to plot improvement?

Number of RC/ CA investigations that occur Monthly? Quarterly? Annually?

Timeliness of Completion of investigations?

Internally / Externally Initiated investigations?

Resources spent of RC/CA investigations?

Edit** Review of RC/CA for recurring issues?

KPI for RCA at our company is no less than 3 but with a target of 5 per month. It's starts to get a little difficult to maintain over some time because sometimes they do overlap. We review what's left open once a week.

Miss Tammy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 13 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Interior decorating, swimming, reading anything, reality TV, keeping up with 3 Grandbabies under 2 years old!

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

I attended the webinar, but had another appointment at the very end.  How do I get my certificate?  We are BRC certified and I think it would make a good impression as he suggested the "5 Why's" for our NC last audit.

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

I attended the webinar, but had another appointment at the very end.  How do I get my certificate?  We are BRC certified and I think it would make a good impression as he suggested the "5 Why's" for our NC last audit.

Go here, the link is on the right side.  You will then see the certificate as a picture, just right click and do a Save-as.

http://www.ifsqn.com...nsor-offers.php

Martha

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

Thanks all for attending, feedback was amazing.  Looking forward to this Friday.  From the 57 pages of chat logs :woot: below are some of the questions and comments related to the webinar subject. Please feel free to discuss and answer the questions between members and I will ask Ruth to look over the thread and give her input also

By the way and email will be sent shortly to all registrants with slides, recorded video etc.

HOSAM

Which department should have responsible to do RCA?

HOSAM

Did only the fish bone the only technique to identify the RCA?

Muhammad Ali

Poka yoke is preventive approach.. Is it also consider for root cause analysis? If yes then how?

Rajnish

What is difference between corrective and preventive action?

Paul

During an audit what are you looking for that a plan is in place and being worked on or having it completed?

Muhammad Ali

Can you please differentiate the continuous and continual improvement and is root cause terminologies support to select above the two one?

Bruce

Is it possible to ask too many whys?

Lexter

Is RCA effective to give answer in high turnover rate of employee?

Alia

What is better 5 whys or cause and effect?

Rose Fox

Is there a cut off date for determining plan is effective?

Ruben

You have a piece of cheese. Employee opens door and leaves door open. Reminding people to close the door or putting a sign up will not completely fix the issue. People will ignore/forget. Put a latch on door that will close door at all times.

Jose

How do you determine if the team have a culture work problem?

Bruce

Is it possible to ask too many whys?

Alia

What is better 5 whys or cause and effect?

Amalia

How do you do a process of elimination with the 6 bones from Ishikawa? Voting of the group for the most probable cause?

Martha

there are times that human nature is the final reason that people have not followed their training, sometimes people make a decision not to comply at that time

Colleen

Training is almost always part of the corrective actions!!!!

Sheetal

What happens if the root cause analysis genuinely suggests that human error was the cause e.g. an experienced member of staff forgot?

Erika

What if the problem is identified much later than the problem occurred and information regarding the circumstances of the problem is limited?

Ruben

As far as telling people to do something sometimes firms have to make a true corrective action and invest in engineering controls.

Robert

When would you avoid using RCA?

Tammy

I agree with Steve Sunderland! Employee error is our biggest problem. Even when trained, they look for short-cuts and the easy way!

rajnish

What is the procedures to find out the root cause of any problem in food industries?

Melody Farahani

When would you avoid using RCA?

chandan

@steve: Design can be also an issue

Rose Fox

Is there a cut off date for determining effectiveness of a program?

Izundu Sidney Ilechukwu

Is there any situation where 5Whys are not suitable for analyzing & identifying the RCA, if there is which other method can be deployed?

Saba zareen

I do rootcause analysis to find out the main reason . Some times it becomes so difficult to identify.

Barbara

If Senior Manager is reluctant in doing Root Cause Analysis what do you do?

Sheetal

Sometimes the root cause analysis leads to huge investment e.g. a change of technology; should monitored corrective action be used in the meantime?

Tracie

Is there any specific reason for using the fish bone rather than the 5 whys or vice versa

Laura Alvarez

DO ALL THE CURRENT SAUDIT STANDARDS REQUIRE THIS SPECIFIC TOOLS FOR PROBLEM RESULTION?

Waheed Hassan

I always divorce myself from the investigation so i cannot influence the outcome

Steve Sunderland

Often times human error is the root cause and training is performed to correct the error but it seems every once in a while the same concern repeats. We have annual training covering prerequisite programs and procedures but once in a while an employee just make an error.

MOE

How I can analysis the root cause in the different complaint process ex food complain ( production level- restaurant level Call center) ???

paul

Always include the line operators and senior managers on a corrective action team.

Martha

Could there be more than one root cause?

Laura Alvarez

IN WHAT CASES FISHBONE IS MORE RECOMMENDED THAN 5 WHYS? MAYBE FOR MORE COMPLEX ISSUES THAT AFFECT MORE DEPARTMENTS? WOULD BE OBTAINING SEVERAL ROOS CAUSES TOO?

Chris

Would I be correct in thinking it would be more logical to do the fishbone first and then ask the 5 whys for each of the identified causes?

Victor

One key item is assessing effectiveness after finishing CAP. What do you recommend?

Chandan

Is it majorly due to pre requisite problem?

Amalia

I enjoy to be annyoing with my Why´s!

Cameron

Best not to have too many from ops. Sometimes they are blinded by the obvious because they see it daily (That's the way we have always done it)

John

If it always ends up as a system problem how does that handle pure human error?

Murali Krishna Bujji

Wouldn't it also mostly lead to training issues of personnel?

looi

What is the optimal time to get the corrective action done? Can it be specified as an improvement objective?

Melody Farahani

When would performing a Root Cause Analysis become an over-kill?

MUHAMMAD SHAKEEL HANIF

What are diffrent root causes types

chandan

Team needs to be multi-disciplined chandan Is it due to improper pre-requisite?

MOE

How I can analysis the root cause in the different complaint process ex food complain ( production level- restaurant level Call center) ???

Allison

How many people?

paul

Manufacturing has to be on board to develop a team. If all they look at is the bottom line then product not meeting the customer agreed specification get's out.

Vivian Nguyen

Let's say there are two answers to the 3rd why reason (and there are more potential why's to be asked), do you recommend pursuing one branch and go all the way, or pursue both at the same time?

Michael Govender

Should get your food safety team involved

Christopher

Team needs to be multi-disciplined

chandan

Is it due to improper pre-requisite?

Bedel

Pls. another methods for RCA?

Waheed Hassan

I have asked 5 whys 20 times and got my lights out

Sheetal

What do you do if there are several root causes?

abel morel

How do you know or avoid thinking that the contributing factor is the root cause?

Sean

How do you get to the root cause if the people you ask respond with a lot of "I don't know"s?

philippa

In the 5 whys example, why did you not ask why the technical dept had not reviewed the cage??

Laura Alvarez

WHEN IS FISHBONE MORE RECOMMENDED THAT 5 WHYS? DO BOTH HELP TO GET SEVERAL ROOT CAUSES THE SAME WAY?

Orla

Will the fishbone always have the same headings?

Robert

How to avoid thinking a contributing factor was the root cause?

OUATTARA

Is it possible for one person to conduct alone the RCA, if not what is the composition of the team

Bruce

Where can I get further info on the 5 whys and fishbone analysis?

Humberto

I think that the Fish bone should have been shown with the same problem (cleaning) to show a complete analysis using both methods.

Loy

How do we know when to stop asking 'Why'?

Laura Alvarez

Great presentation. Do all the standards require an RCA program?

chandan

In processes of conducting the process of 5 whys, It can be quite a lengthy process and time consuming

Allison

In what ways can Root Cause be tracked as a KPI? (what method or information is most efficient in communicating Root Cause as a KPI?)

Sheetal

Do all the actions in the proposed action plan have to be completed within 28 days?

MOE

Vivian Nguyen

Let's say there are two answers to the 3rd why reason (and there are more potential why's to be asked), do you recommend pursuing one branch and go all the way, or pursue both at the same time?

Adrian

Which problem solving technic recommend to use it in a service comp any?

RAJEEV

Is it a must that a fish bone has 6 bones

Sarah Matthews

Hi Ruth, The BRC food safety V7 does it amend anything relating to RCA or is it the same as V6? Thanks

Carrie Benton

I have honestly never heard of 5 why's but will not incorporate that into our customer complaints and such...this will be awesome!!!

Barbara

So root cause should always be done in a team discussion, not only by one person?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

My favorite part was when Simon said "QA managers are supposed to be annoying"  and my warehouse manager / cubicle wall share-er vocalized his agreement. 

Also pretty interesting was learning to "steer" the 5 whys - in the past that approach often left me with "human error" as a root cause and re training as a corrective action. Most of the time the operators already know how to do something correctly, but something in the process is giving them an incentive not to follow procedure.  So identifying that incentive is something we struggle with a lot; fishbone will help.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

My favorite part was when Simon said "QA managers are supposed to be annoying"  and my warehouse manager / cubicle wall share-er vocalized his agreement. 

Also pretty interesting was learning to "steer" the 5 whys - in the past that approach often left me with "human error" as a root cause and re training as a corrective action. Most of the time the operators already know how to do something correctly, but something in the process is giving them an incentive not to follow procedure.  So identifying that incentive is something we struggle with a lot; fishbone will help.

You made my day Magenta. :smile:

And glad you got something out of the webinar.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

Go here, the link is on the right side.  You will then see the certificate as a picture, just right click and do a Save-as.

http://www.ifsqn.com...nsor-offers.php

Martha

Also certificates are sent out in the follow-up pack to all registrants.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users