Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

Is it possible to have a strong allergen control program with out swabbing food contact surfaces (like scales for measuring nuts because that's the only allergen we physically handle)?

SQF level 2 -- storage and distribution 

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

I don't think so....how would you demonstrate that the area is now nut-free?

-Setanta         

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food safety, QA, sharing my knowledge. Farming, growing, life

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

How else would you prove to me (presuming I am allergic to nuts) that you equipment is clean? They make sensive ATP swabs for the allergen level that are not too expensive.  If you have another way to verfiy clealiness I may believe your procedure works but swabs are the quickest, cheapest, way in only my personal opinion

G

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

How else would you prove to me (presuming I am allergic to nuts) that you equipment is clean? They make sensive ATP swabs for the allergen level that are not too expensive.  If you have another way to verfiy clealiness I may believe your procedure works but swabs are the quickest, cheapest, way in only my personal opinion

G

Hi G,

Would you be willing to share the specific brand and type of ATP swabs that you've chosen to use? Also, how often do you use them? It makes sense to me to do a test after every run of a particular allergen, before setting up for the next product. 

Thank you!

~Emily~

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

qalearner

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

Neogen makes some decent swabs, and you can order ones that are specific for the allergen you are using. We used to use them for cleaning validation of washes between different allergen products. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
ladytygrr

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

We use AllerGiene swabs from Charm in their NovaLum system and used them after CIP of allergen product.  I know there are others out there but just what worked for us

G

Thanked by 1 Member:
ladytygrr

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

I'm going to check into this, G. During one of my very first days here, I heard a conversation that our company is planning an annual swab and external testing as the plan for proof our cleaning and sanitation practices work.

It seems like that's not often enough but I haven't gotten far enough into all of this just yet to know if there's an actual regulatory/standard requirement for a specific time frame. If we do need testing more often, it seems that it will ultimately be more cost effective to do the testing in-house than to send it out. My thought on the need to test in-house is that you get immediate test results rather than days or weeks during which time you could be operating with incorrectly cleaned/sanitized equipment, etc. and not know it. 

As always, I welcome anyone's thoughts on this subject.

Thanks, again, G!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:54 PM

Yes, especially for allergens you will need to certify before EACH production run of a non-allergen run that the line or area was adequately cleaned and sanitized.  Allergens can be life threatening to those who have those allergies and due diligence is required.

Neogen test results are available in under 5 minutes from beginning to end.

• ladytygrr likes this

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:
ladytygrr

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

Yes, especially for allergens you will need to certify before EACH production run of a non-allergen run that the line or area was adequately cleaned and sanitized.  Allergens can be life threatening to those who have those allergies and due diligence is required.

Neogen test results are available in under 5 minutes from beginning to end.

Thank you, Setanta - your wisdom is appreciated.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Setanta

gfdoucette07

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 112 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Emily,  I do also like the idea of an annual 3rd party validation via actual specific test for the allergen you are looking to clean, but as Setanta said something within 5 mins needs to be availble so we have some idea of cleanliness. 

We are always here with ideas and thoughts, though they may seem odd or unrealistic but then again if you knew us personnally we probably are!

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

We are always here with ideas and thoughts, though they may seem odd or unrealistic but then again if you knew us personnally we probably are!

If that's the case then I'm sure I will fit in around here fairly well. I'm usually the odd woman out --- and I am very proud of my oddness/weirdness!  :gleam:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thank you, Setanta - your wisdom is appreciated.

You are very welcome!  As is more oddness!  :2cool:

-Setanta         

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Hi ladytygrr,

Just for clarity - ATP and allergens are not unrelated but are also very different.

http://www.foodquali...tems-cannot-do/

• ladytygrr likes this

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
ladytygrr

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

Hi ladytygrr,

Just for clarity - ATP and allergens are not unrelated but are also very different.

http://www.foodquali...tems-cannot-do/

As always, Charles, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the additional information!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allergen, swabbing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users