• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hello,

New to the egg production industry; understanding that egg pose a low risk due to their natural barrier... I was wondering if anyone uses any type of rapid microbial testing for the processing equipment, to verify the effectiveness of their SSOP's?  We are working toward SQF Level 2 Certification and I have read studies on the effectiveness of sanitation programs in the shell egg industry, but I am concerned that the innate barriers of the egg, sanitation procedures, egg cleaning in-process and temperature control after processing may not be enough justification for this. 

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks,

Dan

ncwingnut

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Horses, Boxer dogs, cross stitch, MMORPGs, regulatory affairs stuff...and on and on....

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:10 AM

We use the Neogen Reveal testing kits.  We have several allergens we test for - egg, soy, dairy, sesame, peanut, etc.  We have been using these kits as our validation for several years now and haven't had any issues.

Thanked by 1 Member:
DF-ESBFMM

D.Fischer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

We use the Neogen Reveal testing kits.  We have several allergens we test for - egg, soy, dairy, sesame, peanut, etc.  We have been using these kits as our validation for several years now and haven't had any issues.

Thanks for the reply ncwingnut.  I have used Neogen and Hygeina swabs at a previous employer too.  I guess what I am getting at is specifically in regard to the shell egg production/packaging industry. And whether or not I need to perform this extra step.  It would definitely work as a verification and validation system....but is it necessary to go that extra step in this particular scenario?  Additionally, the company is being resistant on spending the $$ on anything that's not necessary too!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users