Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Would you allow persons with colostomy bags in packaging rooms/areas?  If so, what (if any) additional controls would you encourage?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Well, what are you packing?  Do you have an FDA or USDA inspector on site? I would really ask them.

-Setanta         

mics0618

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

Packing food ingredients (not intended for the consumer) which are mostly intended for preservation and antimicrobial industries.  We are not USDA regulated.  FDA is not on site regularly either.  Any advice that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Steve_T

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

I have had the unfortunate experience of having to wear one for several months some years ago.  From my experience, it comes down to personal hygiene practices - or sanitary practices, which at the end of the day are no different to whomever they refer to.

Now having said that, for adequate personal hygiene practices to reflect the desired outcome as far as the food industry is concerned, suitable facilities need to be present.  I found that standard bathroom facilities were in general simply not adequate for ease of dealing with a colostomy bag.  I was fortunate in that I chose not to work during this time.  For longer-term users who do not necessarily have that choice, then as an employer, I would discuss their particular needs (and your concerns) with them and try to accommodate those needs in as sensitive manner possible to ensure suitable outcomes for all.

At the end of the day, there is no technical reason why someone with such a device should be singled out and simply banned from working in any area of the food industry.

• Setanta likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
Setanta

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

I have had the unfortunate experience of having to wear one for several months some years ago.  From my experience, it comes down to personal hygiene practices - or sanitary practices, which at the end of the day are no different to whomever they refer to.

Now having said that, for adequate personal hygiene practices to reflect the desired outcome as far as the food industry is concerned, suitable facilities need to be present.  I found that standard bathroom facilities were in general simply not adequate for ease of dealing with a colostomy bag.  I was fortunate in that I chose not to work during this time.  For longer-term users who do not necessarily have that choice, then as an employer, I would discuss their particular needs (and your concerns) with them and try to accommodate those needs in as sensitive manner possible to ensure suitable outcomes for all.

At the end of the day, there is no technical reason why someone with such a device should be singled out and simply banned from working in any area of the food industry.

Thank you for your reply!  I am glad to hear yours was not a permanent situation.  My mother had one, and once she got the hang of things, I think it was pretty manageable for her. 

-Setanta         

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users