Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

Hi, we have received remark, we should have control over the plaster using by food operator. Wondering anyone has this practice / procedure in place and mind to share it out? Thanks in advance.  

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:22 AM

This can be very simple.  This is probably the best practice I've seen.

Policy stating that plasters must be site issued, blue and metal detectable trained out at induction.  This includes for cuts which have occurred outside work and so need to be recovered.

When someone then needs a plaster, these are only issued by trained personnel, (normally first aiders).  They have a log where the person the plaster is issued to is recorded.  Also the name of the person or initials are written on the plaster itself.

If the cut is on the hand, the person then has to wear a glove over the plaster.

At the end of the day (or if coming loose earlier), the person then goes back to the first aider and either gives back the plaster to have it replaced or informs the member of staff that the plaster is still intact at the end of the day which is then also recorded on the log. 

This sounds onerous but it's not that common to have cuts (or shouldn't be!)  Also remember if a cut happens in an open food area you may have to use a blood spillage procedure which will also need to be recorded.

• QAGB likes this

Thanked by 2 Members:
QAGB , Charles.C

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:43 AM

Tks GMO. Very informative indeed. Btw, do you have a sample of log book that recorded plaster usage? 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:40 AM

Sorry I try not to share documents on here for fear of getting into trouble with my employer but what I'd include is:

Date, time, reason for plaster issue, issued by, name / initials written on plaster?  (yes / no), accounted for at end of shift (yes / no).

Or similar.

Thanked by 1 Member:
Teem

Rosemary4

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hi , attached is one I produced as a result of blood on paperwork which we use.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:
Teem

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:19 AM

Tks GMO and Rosemary 4 . Btw,, GM) , can you pls explain what does it mean for the following sentence "accounted for at end of shift"?    

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

Tks GMO and Rosemary 4 . Btw,, GM) , can you pls explain what does it mean for the following sentence "accounted for at end of shift"?    

This means either returned or that the person is going home with the plaster still covering the cut which is also ok.  You don't want to insist on the person returning the plaster if they still have a bleeding finger!

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

In another word, supervisor need to have check over the plaster at the end of the day, if plaster found still intact with employee , then is YES..  ? 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

In another word, supervisor need to have check over the plaster at the end of the day, if plaster found still intact with employee , then is YES..  ? 

Yes that's right.  I suppose you could say "checked" instead of "accounted for" but it's just a way of saying "we know it's not missing".

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users