• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Dear everybody,

I am writing to ask about water activity.

My customer ask for AW=0.65max product . So, i dont know the measure to control the AW in product.

Could you please advise me what to do to reduce the AW in product ? My product is grinding pepper (only pepper with no other material)

Sincerly yours

swmalone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Have you determined what the water activity is of the pepper without performing any modifications?

Thanked by 1 Member:
akool18

NovasinaAG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Switzerland
    Switzerland

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:28 AM

Dear akool. The measurement of water activity of grinded pepper is simple. The one and only part which needs to be respected are the volatile aroma part in your pepper. It leaves the sample in the same way as the free water does and can disturb a measurement. But there are solutions we can offer. If you want to learn more about water activity and how to measure samples with volatiles, let me know. I am more than happy to help you. Contact me by xxxxxxx

Edited by Charles.C, 14 March 2017 - 04:21 PM.
email removed

Thanked by 1 Member:
akool18

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

Have you determined what the water activity is of the pepper without performing any modifications?

I have not yet determine the AW of my product yet. But i think that the WA is not stable. its value may fluctuate, sometime it's higher or lower than 0.65. Problem now is to bring it to the level below 0.65. i dont know to reduce AW to that level

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:15 AM

I have not yet determine the AW of my product yet. But i think that the WA is not stable. its value may fluctuate, sometime it's higher or lower than 0.65. Problem now is to bring it to the level below 0.65. i dont know to reduce AW to that level

Hi akool,

IMHO, yr first priority is to get some data. Unless you have a reason (experience? literature?) to anticipate the Aw is usually > 0.65 ??

Some Aw comments/suggestions here -

Attached File  water-activity-related.pdf   491.07KB   59 downloads

PS - cannot you just dry it ?

You can reduce your product’s a w  in several ways. Adding humectants like salt and sugar “binds” the water in the product.
You haven’t reduced the water content, but you have reduced the water activity. You can dry the product in a number
of ways; air drying, vacuum drying, freeze drying, and osmotic dehydration all reduce water activity. You can also lower
water activity by lowering the temperature of the product. In many cases, a minor recipe change can bring water activity
to a safe and shelf-stable level.

(from above attachment)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:
chu lin , akool18

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

and one more -

Attached File  red pepper- effect different drying methds.pdf   518.61KB   32 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:40 AM

Hi akool,

IMHO, yr first priority is to get some data. Unless you have a reason (experience? literature?) to anticipate the Aw is usually > 0.65 ??

Some Aw comments/suggestions here -

attachicon.gifwater-activity-related.pdf

PS - cannot you just dry it ?

Yes Charles C. 

I dont have experience and literature data of my product. I have peppercorn and my customer need grinding pepper with AWmax=0.65 specification. i need to know what to do with AW > 0.65. If there is any equipment or any method to control AW below 0.65. i would consider to install or set up control measure

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:59 AM

And moreover,

I expect there is method of control AW or drying method to reduce AW

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

Another comment is that if red pepper is typical, it seems not easy to get Aw below 0.65 by drying. Possibly the limitation is that other quality characteristics are damaged.

But you still need data. :smile: (maybe even moisture level gives an idea of possibilities)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
akool18

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Another comment is that if red pepper is typical, it seems not easy to get Aw below 0.65 by drying. Possibly the limitation is that other quality characteristics are damaged.

But you still need data. :smile: (maybe even moisture level gives an idea of possibilities)

Yes Charles C, my pepper moisture content is usually among 11.5-12%

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

Table 2 in attachment below suggests that you/I may be being too pessimistic regarding Aw value, but your product may not directly relate of course.

i think you must arrange a test for Aw on a "typical" sample, preferably >1 sample.

Attached File  Water-Activity-and-Spices.pdf   109.07KB   31 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:
chu lin , akool18

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

Table 2 in attachment below suggests that you may be being too pessimistic regarding Aw value, but your product may not directly relate of course.

i think you must arrange a test for Aw on a "typical" sample, preferably >1 sample.

attachicon.gifWater-Activity-and-Spices.pdf

I see . thank you so much for helps .

swmalone

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

Sorry I vanished on you there.  I agree with Charles, until you collect some data on your specific product you really don't have a good place to start.  You should try to collect several representative samples of your pepper and have them tested for Aw.  If possible collect them over a period of time that reflects any changes to the processing environment, such as temperature and humidity.  In addition to the data you collect on your product Charles and given you some documentation regarding Aw and pepper.  Doing a bit of research should help put you in a better position to have this discussion with your customer.

akool18

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

Sorry I vanished on you there.  I agree with Charles, until you collect some data on your specific product you really don't have a good place to start.  You should try to collect several representative samples of your pepper and have them tested for Aw.  If possible collect them over a period of time that reflects any changes to the processing environment, such as temperature and humidity.  In addition to the data you collect on your product Charles and given you some documentation regarding Aw and pepper.  Doing a bit of research should help put you in a better position to have this discussion with your customer.

i appreciate your introduction. With you an Charles help, i much more understand about WA and plan to do with WA

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users