Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

We have been having troubles with employees and gloves.  We have an older facility that has one hand washing sink in each area of the facility on one side.  We have always trained employees that gloves can not be left laying around when not being used and must be hung up on the racks provided.  We are getting close to our SQF audit and cracking down on employees not following procedure.  Employees are getting mad and stating that they just set the gloves down to fill out paperwork or grab something when someone points it out to them.  Management is asking me why it is not acceptable for employees to set gloves down on equipment or tables when they are going to do something instead of walking all the way across the room to hang them up.  I don't know all the answers.  Can someone help me understand this and if we are being too picky or some solution that could help solve this problem.  It is not feasible to install more sinks in the areas than we have now.

Thank You,

joshm

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

Is it possible to install a place for them to hang their gloves closer to their workstation? If so, also mount a hand sanitizer dispenser next to where they would hang up their gloves. 

Just a thought.

jportz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Would just sanitizing gloves be appropriate enough or would they have to wash them?

swanny297

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

Risk analysis - if they are setting them down to paperwork, putting them on and going to back to work identify if there are any risks.  We use waist clips, when the employees aren't wearing their gloves they are clipped.  This also helps with accountability.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Remove gloves from the facility altogether (unless there is a cut)---problem solved

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Make it as easy as possible for your employees to follow the SOP however you require.  The harder you make it the less chance it will be followed.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of gloves for a wide variety of reasons.  Of course, every operation is different, but in the fluid dairy world there really isn't a need for gloves since ingredients and products have almost zero exposure and handling by employees.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gloves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users