• 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

Dear all, 

I am new into this group. 

I have started working into a packaging manufacture produces HDPE bottles   and I would like to known how often you must do your migration test ?

Is it any specific  microbiological organisms that should be examine apart form the aerobic plate at 30,count moulds , count of E.Coli,Pseudomonas and Coliforms.  

Thank you in advance  

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

Can't speak for the UK. In the US your bottle requirements would be driven by FDA (who will cite standardized migration criteria) and the majority of your data would come from your resin supplier. Bacterial counts will depend on end-use customer requirements for milk, beverages, etc.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:
ThemosT

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:43 AM

Dear all, 

I am new into this group. 

I have started working into a packaging manufacture produces HDPE bottles   and I would like to known how often you must do your migration test ?

Is it any specific  microbiological organisms that should be examine apart form the aerobic plate at 30,count moulds , count of E.Coli,Pseudomonas and Coliforms.  

Thank you in advance  

Hi Thermos,

Is there a specific  FS standard involved ? eg BRC Packaging ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
ThemosT

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

Hi Charles , 

Thank you for your answer . 

My company has been  accredited with BRC ISSUE 5, the previous quality assurance colleague had done  migration tests 2 years ago  and micro organisms testes a year ago.

Thanks a lot 

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

Have you got any procedures stipulating the frequency of such test?

In our company, a procedure exists to remind QC staffs to send samples of LDPE bags to an authorised lab every 6 months. Then we get some FS "Certificates of Compliance". Our salemen can use those FS-CoCs for dealing with local food makers.

Thanked by 1 Member:
ThemosT

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

Hi Thermos,

I'm not a Packaging person but i think you will find that yr "Migration/micro" queries may have  been previously discussed in the BRC packaging sub-forum, eg in threads like this  -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ration-studies/

Some BRC-specific ver5 info also in here -

Attached File  BRC,Campden,2015 guidance migration packing materials into food.pdf   938.91KB   72 downloads

the usual generic answer for frequency is that it initially depends on factors like the degree of compliance of yr results.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:
chu lin , ThemosT

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Have you got any procedures stipulating the frequency of such test?

In our company, a procedure exists to remind QC staffs to send samples of LDPE bags to an authorised lab every 6 months. Then we get some FS "Certificates of Compliance". Our salemen can use those FS-CoCs for dealing with local food makers.

hello 

no the previous qa did not have procedure . I wnat to create to new one . I will place annually . However , I think you need to do it when you have new material and process 

smart17

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hi Thermos,

I'm not a Packaging person but i think you will find that yr "Migration/micro" queries may have  been previously discussed in the BRC packaging sub-forum, eg in threads like this  -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ration-studies/

Some BRC-specific ver5 info also in here -

attachicon.gifBRC,Campden,2015 guidance migration packing materials into food.pdf

the usual generic answer for frequency is that it initially depends on factors like the degree of compliance of yr results.

Hello 

thanks for the support !

John Moreton

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

HI Smart17

There is a missing element to your question i think might be your guidance.

What has your customer asked from you. ?

We manufacture Plastic Bottles for Food and Phama, however we are driven by our customer requirements and put the ownership on to them for any testing they want carried out. 

So far only a small handful of customers have requested Migration Testing, we do have some level of assurance as our material ( polymer and master batch) are supplied to us with a food safe deceleration of conformance

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users