• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is Allergen control required in a distribution center?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Ahejja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:00 PM

I am trying to implement an allergen program in our facility which is a Distribution Center and everything is finished good in cans or jars nothing is opened and exposed to our environment, do we still have to implement an allergen control procedure for our facility? 

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

I am trying to implement an allergen program in our facility which is a Distribution Center and everything is finished good in cans or jars nothing is opened and exposed to our environment, do we still have to implement an allergen control procedure for our facility? 

Yes, however, your program will be more focused on Employee training and understanding of the "Big 8" Allergens and Allergen Spillage control (in case a spillage occurs).

Ahejja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:17 PM

thanks, do I have to label each pallet and do I have to stack them according to there allergen profile despite they are FG?

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:08 PM

thanks, do I have to label each pallet and do I have to stack them according to there allergen profile despite they are FG?

If you are handling few products in large volumes, it will be better/easier to label each pallet, however, labeling of individual pallets in a distribution center can be very difficult, specially if you are handling many products (for example >500 types of products, where every finished product has its own Allergen profile). Any Flour or product packaged in bags/paper should be segregated and labeled accordingly.

However, as said above, all the products are in enclosed cans and jars and no reprocessing or repackaging is conducted at your facility. This reduces the amount of Allergen contamination, as compared to a processing facility, where Allergen segregation is imperative.

IMO: Make sure the employees are aware of the "Big 8" Allergens and measures in case of an Allergen spillage. 

Thanked by 1 Member:
Ahejja

Ahejja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

thank you 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,052 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 26 November 2018 - 02:46 PM

Don't forget to include any cleaning products, soaps, etc. in your policy as well.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users