• Quick Navigation
Photo

Pest Control for outlying buildings on premises

Share this

Best Answer , 27 December 2018 - 01:28 AM

Hi, Whiteman.

Yes in my opinion but couple it with including it in your cleaning plan and other PRPs for your general facility. While some of the context can be missing, a scenario could be even if it is located 50 yards away from main processing building, if the new structure is located to vegetation or garbage area and there are some cable trays that connect to this building to your processing area, chances are, it could also infest your facility.

The type of pest control monitoring may then just depend on what is the risk with the new building. Pest or no pest, this new structure should be part of the inspection.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

whiteman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:00 PM

Is pest control for outlying buildings required to be monitored by Quality Control for the Plant?  For example, A new shop has been constructed on the plants property and it's purpose is for repairing of trucks.  It is not for storage or packaging for the plant.  It is located 50 yards from the plant.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:23 PM

Is pest control for outlying buildings required to be monitored by Quality Control for the Plant?  For example, A new shop has been constructed on the plants property and it's purpose is for repairing of trucks.  It is not for storage or packaging for the plant.  It is located 50 yards from the plant.

Regulatory? GFSI? From what you described, the building probably wouldn't need to be included the scope of your program.  However, I would strongly advise some type of pest control for it so that you don't develop a problem there that migrates to your controlled facility.

whiteman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:25 PM

Regulatory? GFSI? From what you described, the building probably wouldn't need to be included the scope of your program.  However, I would strongly advise some type of pest control for it so that you don't develop a problem there that migrates to your controlled facility.

SQF Edition 8.0

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 227 posts
  • 69 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:Validation, basketball, chocolatier

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:28 AM   Best Answer

Hi, Whiteman.

Yes in my opinion but couple it with including it in your cleaning plan and other PRPs for your general facility. While some of the context can be missing, a scenario could be even if it is located 50 yards away from main processing building, if the new structure is located to vegetation or garbage area and there are some cable trays that connect to this building to your processing area, chances are, it could also infest your facility.

The type of pest control monitoring may then just depend on what is the risk with the new building. Pest or no pest, this new structure should be part of the inspection.

Thanked by 1 Member:
whiteman

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:21 AM

Dear Whiteman,

As the building is located on your premises, it has to respect your own rules, as written above. The people working in the new building need to be used to regular inspections. Be careful to not create a "subculture".

Please note, that there may be environmental (and safety) regulations to be taken into account for a truck repair activity.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

• MrHillman likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
whiteman

Norman.Rosi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Hi Whiteman, many Standards indicate to keep in control all the plant: area of production,storage, technical rooms, external gardens if present, and in Europe for companies that apply services following the UNI EN 16636 Standard procedures for Pest Management, at paragraph 5.2 this is indicated, so we have to do it.And we must consider which kind of pest is living there or can come from that area.
In case the risk comes from outside the property and the risk is hig, like the fields of corn,sunflower,breeding of animals,rivers or channels, we can inform or involve the owners or public adiministration about the good practices of manteinance.
I think is not necessary to follow a special procedure or standard to put this area under control with some kind of monitoring (rodents for example) and investigate about the pests.Best regards and Happy new year 2019

Tgoss

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

When it comes to pest control SQF typically wants you to rely on the experts. In this case the "experts" would be your pest control company. I took this from the guidance docs:

"The location of internal and external pest control devices must be completed based on the risk to the site and the product. Factors that can affect this include product type, processing type, location of site, surrounding environment, types of facilities, external storage of equipment (such as equipment graveyards), neighboring facilities and land use. The site and surrounding areas must be kept free of waste, redundant equipment and associated debris to minimize harborage for vermin."

So if your pest control company tells you that you need pest control in that building to prevent them from migrating to your food facility, it would be a hard sell to your auditor as to why you disagreed. However, if the pest control tells you that you should be fine without it there, have them write something up for you to place in your pest control book stating that. You will be able to validate their expertise in this area with your pest sighting log and with the pest activity of the traps on the side of the building closest to this outlying building. 

Thanked by 2 Members:
hichar712 , Charles.C

hichar712

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the information, you rely on the termite professionals and always should take tips to them, because they can guide you well. In a near arena, there are numerous companies who provide termite services. Me too take the guidance from  Safe Pest Control Sydney.

CatherineClifford

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

You should first hire Pest control company they first will inspect whether yoiur building needs Pest control or not.

hichar712

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

Hello again, CatherineClifford,

You should need termite pest control after I prefer the company & inform you termite company many-2 services provides for other companies you'll require any service after you can contact here. After another issue, you can we. I share company services details share with you, for example, termite pest control, Ant pest control, mice pest control,  cockroach pest control etc. you should try this.

geneille

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:07 AM

hello, can you please share with me if you have Good warehousing practices and Good Transport Practices that i can share to other employees? I only have checklist with me but no procedures or programs yet. thank you

geneillexxxxx

Edited by Charles.C, 12 February 2019 - 04:20 AM.
email deleted

Marcowilson12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 31 May 2019 - 05:48 AM

Hello there,

Pests are always looking for new homes. When you are planning or realising building projects, you have to make sure you do not attract the wrong type of residents. Availability of debris and standing water make construction sites a haven for numerous pests. Their presence can cause distress to people as well as damage to the fabric and foundations of buildings. For instance, termite and longhorn beetle can seriously destruct building supporting structure and bring greater financial impact. Besides that, pest can brings a wide range of threats to construction employees and public health. Pest like rats contaminate any surface with their urine and filthy hair, leading to diseases such as osteoporosis.

Edited by Charles.C, 31 May 2019 - 08:39 AM.
advert deleted

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users