• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:04 AM

Hi everyone, 

I'm fresh here and fresh in this industry. I need some help from you guys about AIB consolidated Standards 2017 (Prerequisite & food safety inspection)

" 2.13 Cross- contamination Prevention 

2.13.1.3. Area for washing and cleaning are located away from production activities, as appropriate based on risk

2.13.1.5. Cleaning and production areas are segregated with air curtains, partitions, doors, or other sanitary exclusionary systems. "

We just wash some utensils (like spoon, product's container for weight checking) at this sink  after we finish the production shift, and there is no risk of cross-contamination. [ATTACHED PHOTO]

But the auditor said that It must be segregated from the production area as requirements in standard. I really confused about the terms Washing and Cleaning area

Anyone please explain to me the difference btw WASHING and CLEANING and in this case What should I do?

Thank you so much

Attached Files

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,052 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

As for 2.13.1.3 - Have you done a risk assessment on your process. This will be your first step. One of your risks being water splattering off the object being cleaned and onto other surfaces.

Under 2.13.1.5 - what is the auditor's definition of "other sanitary exclusionary systems" - this is where you will have to try and prove your procedures are safe.

In our facility our sink is in the production area but it's only used to clean items used in production - so after production is over (COP system). We've never had a problem from an AIB auditor with our system.

So it may come down to your auditor's interpretation. Your best bet is to prove your cleaning processes don't pose a risk to your product.

As for the difference between washing and cleaning. Yes, they can be used interchangeably. The difference from my opinion, washing - using water/liquid. Cleaning - may or may not use water/liquid. Also - washing is a specific step while cleaning is a generic term. For the purpose of 2.13.1.5 - I believe they said both to reference facilities who use either a dry or wet process method.  For example - we clean our dry spice line but would never say wash our dry spice line because we don't use water.

Hope this helps

Edited by KfromIA, 07 May 2019 - 01:29 PM.

• Mohamed2710 likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
vutruongOrion

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AIB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users