• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:17 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm working for a food retailer in Vietnam, where we are struggling to tackle African Swine Fever (ASF).

Besides the familiar ways to check if my suppliers' livestock supplies providing ASF- suspected pigs, including sampling plan increase for testing and inspection, on-site audits, traceability documentation review, I'm looking for another ways to effectively control our suppliers with limited budget

Could it be possible if I require my suppliers' surveillance camera's recorded data or do we have any fast testing method to detect at the receipt ?

Please give me your advice.

Many thanks

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

Whilst this report focuses on control measures for produces, results and suggestions may be of use to customers when assessing suppliers.

https://www.frontier...2018.00077/full

According to this expert panel, the most important preventive measures for commercial, non-commercial, and outdoor farms were the identification of animals and farm records; enforcement of the ban on swill feeding; and containment of pigs to not allow contact with pigs from other farms, feral pigs, or wild boar or their products. In addition to this, other measures were considered relevant in preventing ASF introduction, namely education of farmers, workers, and operators; no contact between farmers, farm staff and external pigs; appropriate removal of carcasses, slaughter residues and food waste; proper disposal of manure and dead animals, and abstention from hunting activities for a period of 48 h prior to any contact with domestic pigs. Finally, all experts considered important to facilitate and promote the access of veterinarians and health services to non-commercial and outdoor farms

From a Google it seems ASF detection kits do exist. I can't comment though on effectiveness or cost-benefit to your operation.

https://www.id-vet.c...fever-indirect/

https://www.thermofi.../product/A28809

Thanked by 1 Member:
nhquan1310

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

Ask your farmers to provide proof of bio security           they can take photos of signage/shower in/out areas..................give you copies of boots not travelling between barns...........no evidence of travel to countries where the flu is etc etc

All of this is what will matter most..............testing herds alive or dead, is a last resort

hope this helps

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:
nhquan1310

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users