• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can alcohol based hand sanitiser eliminate bacteria, viruses and fungi, including coronavirus/COVID-19 ?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

rosanna@060208

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:16 AM

Good Morning, 

There is a tweet going on that hand sanitiser will not kill off the corona virus and that virus and bacteria are different. 

I am aware that alcohol based hand sanitiser can kill off bacteria, virus and fungi. Is this true?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:03 AM

Good Morning, 

There is a tweet going on that hand sanitiser will not kill off the corona virus and that virus and bacteria are different. 

I am aware that alcohol based hand sanitiser can kill off bacteria, virus and fungi. Is this true?

I suggest you ask for the tweet's source.

IIRC the comment, in Principle, is opposite to what I have heard on the "TV". (also unreferenced)

Can try this perhaps -

https://www.theguard...avirus-covid-19

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:
rosanna@060208

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:05 AM

Some extracts below, from (IMO) reputable sources, regarding hand washing and sanitising in relation to Covid19.

Centres for Disease Control & Prevention

Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

https://www.cdc.gov/...prevention.html

World Health Organisation

Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.

UK National Health Service

wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available

https://www.nhs.uk/c...virus-covid-19/

I think context is important to consider though and as the sources above suggest, hand washing is preferable when available. There will be many occasions when people don't have constant access to a sink with hot water and soap i.e. travelling on underground trains so hand sanitiser is useful and effective in that regard. The below CDC info makes a good point about community/clinical environements too.

CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands. But if soap and water are not available, using a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol can help you avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. 

Hand sanitizers may not be as effective when hands are visibly dirty or greasy.

Why? Many studies show that hand sanitizers work well in clinical settings like hospitals, where hands come into contact with germs but generally are not heavily soiled or greasy. Some data also show that hand sanitizers may work well against certain types of germs on slightly soiled hands. However, hands may become very greasy or soiled in community settings, such as after people handle food, play sports, work in the garden, or go camping or fishing. When hands are heavily soiled or greasy, hand sanitizers may not work well. Handwashing with soap and water is recommended in such circumstances.

https://www.cdc.gov/...-sanitizer.html

Thanked by 4 Members:
kettlecorn , kfromNE , rosanna@060208 , Charles.C

IMRAN ALI
  • IFSQN Active
  • 0 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

Good mo

Good Morning, 

Good Morning,

Its very much true that virus and bacteria are different. Bacteria can receive antibiotic treatment whereas viruses don't ! Viruses are usually tackled by the body immune system and if successful against virus it usually gains long lasting cure most of the times.

IMRAN ALI
  • IFSQN Active
  • 0 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:00 AM

As far as tweet in favor of hand sanitizer is concerned that it will not kill the corona virus off the surface and your hands is also logically untrue. The corona virus like any other virus is quite sensitive as to the kind of environment it can survive in i.e. Viruses can't usually survive in open air as well as against any chemical based spray or fluid like sanitizers.

Edited by IMRAN ALI, 03 March 2020 - 09:04 AM.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:07 AM

Its very much true that virus and bacteria are different. Bacteria can receive antibiotic treatment whereas viruses don't ! Viruses are usually tackled by the body immune system and if successful against virus it usually gains long lasting cure most of the times.

^ Indeed, but anti-viral medications are available for some viral infections,  herpes zoster aka 'shingles' being one. Such 'treatment' would also apply for those unfortunately already infected; I think the OP is concerned about prevention of infection.

IMRAN ALI
  • IFSQN Active
  • 0 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 03 March 2020 - 09:18 AM

As far as Corona virus Spread from human to human is concerned, it is due to the fact that virus is able to live in the moisture and normal body temperature. Corona Virus is just like any other flu virus in terms of its spread in human to human.

so, it can survive at any surface and cavity where the required environmental moisture is present. for example, the nasal cavity and nasal fluid or non-sanitized or unwashed hands and even normal breathing.

isn't it surprising! :shutup:  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:04 PM

All I know is that Lysol spray kills CV because it said so on their label of the can that we have. That is until an authority agency orders the manufacturer to cease such a statement.

• mgourley likes this

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:31 PM

All I know is that Lysol spray kills CV because it said so on their label of the can that we have. That is until an authority agency orders the manufacturer to cease such a statement.

Well, it kills A version of CV, whether or not it is THIS version of CV remains to be seen. :gleam:

• MsMars likes this

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:
kettlecorn

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

It was explained by my doctor (who had coincidentally just attended a special briefing on the subject) that the common cold virus is a corona virus and if it kills the cold virus it should kill COVID-19. In that case, good hand sanitizer will kill COVID-19 too. He also shared that most people with the virus will survive it providing they are healthy enough or old enough but not too old! Scary part is that a lot of people will get it, it will run its course, they will get better but they can infect others they come into contact with while sick, people with less healthy immune systems. One major reason the CDC, WHO and many other outlets are telling everyone to stay isolated if they are sick with basically anything even remotely resembling CIVID-19. If you have it and play it off like a normal cold or flu, you could infect a lot of people. It's anti-pandemic 101.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

It was explained by my doctor (who had coincidentally just attended a special briefing on the subject) that the common cold virus is a corona virus and if it kills the cold virus it should kill COVID-19. In that case, good hand sanitizer will kill COVID-19 too. He also shared that most people with the virus will survive it providing they are healthy enough or old enough but not too old! Scary part is that a lot of people will get it, it will run its course, they will get better but they can infect others they come into contact with while sick, people with less healthy immune systems. One major reason the CDC, WHO and many other outlets are telling everyone to stay isolated if they are sick with basically anything even remotely resembling CIVID-19. If you have it and play it off like a normal cold or flu, you could infect a lot of people. It's anti-pandemic 101.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

Some support to yr doctor from the URL in Post 2 -

Sally Bloomfield, a professor at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, says that viruses are much more resistant to disinfectants than bacteria. Luckily, she says, coronavirus is an envelope virus, meaning it has a coating around it which the alcohol can attack, thereby eliminating the threat. (Norovirus and rhinovirus, by contrast, do not).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:29 PM

All i can say is I am going to Ireland next week and plan to order as many Corona's as possible, if available, in the pubs I visit.

Marshall

• MsMars likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:47 PM

I'll tip an ice cold Heiniken to that!!! 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 March 2020 - 11:39 PM

My wife was heading out of the office today to go and pick up some stuff at the nearby Food Lion store and I casually mentioned that I'd like a couple of large bottles of gel hand sanitizer - not because of this CV thing but because as we move towards spring we are seeing an increase in bird mites in the area and that stops them dead when they fall on my head.... 

She whats app me about 10 minutes ago and says they are out of hand sanitizer but the pharmacy next door had 1 bottle of 91% alcohol and 2 bottles of sanitizer - she took it all! LOL

Amazing how the power of suggestion works!

Tell people to do something and it works on sheeple everytime.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 05 March 2020 - 12:18 AM

It's incredible what media can achieve.
So far, what I hear about this is breathless reportage about 3k worldwide that have died from this virus.

OK, how many people are there in the world?

What percentage is 3k of that?

People, get a grip.

Marshall

• MsMars likes this

Claire65

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:49 AM

Good Morning, 

It depends on the alcohol percentage in the hand sanitizer and added active ingrediënts. This determines the efficacy of it's bacteria, virus and fungus killing properties. Per country there are different restrictions and limitations for this...

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

All i can say is I am going to Ireland next week and plan to order as many Corona's as possible, if available, in the pubs I visit.

Marshall

I haven't been to Ireland, but I've known enough Irish to give you this educated opinion. If you order Corona in an Irish pub instead of Guinness, Smithwick's, O'haras, etc., you might not be making it back stateside. You would be a different type of casualty of the Corona, but a casualty nonetheless.

Stay safe!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:53 PM

Marshall

I know it was a pun, but don't waste your money on Corona while in Ireland.  Get the Guinness draught, I swear it tastes different in Ireland than in the US.  Don't be alarmed if it tastes warm to you..most pubs serve it a bit on the warmer side.  If you do get the chance visit the Guinness brewery, worth every effort to go there.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:54 PM

Nah...they are a rather peaceful people who actually enjoy the company of Americans.

I haven't been to Ireland, but I've known enough Irish to give you this educated opinion. If you order Corona in an Irish pub instead of Guinness, Smithwick's, O'haras, etc., you might not be making it back stateside. You would be a different type of casualty of the Corona, but a casualty nonetheless.

Stay safe!

Non_entitie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 July 2020 - 04:31 PM

It's possible the initial tweet was actually splitting the semantic hair that viruses are not alive and therefore are not "killed" by sanitizer.  The term I was always instructed to use was any virucide "innactivates" or "destroys" virions.  That being said when speaking to laypeople saying that a virus is killed offers more clarity than if you say that it is innactivated which to many may indicate that they may be capable of recovery.

• kettlecorn likes this

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users