• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to improve food safety culture when 40% of staff are outsourced?

Share this

Best Answer , 21 April 2020 - 01:00 PM

What we do is convey to the temp agency a list of things, starting the GMPs and including current corona virus steps that the temp agency must cover before they send temps to our facility. The potential temps need to sign off on these items.

The agency goes through these lists so at least people are familiar with what we require. Now, we did set this up in advance with the temp agency, but they should be willing to work with you on this.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Marina_Y

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Dear all,
Do you have a good practices how to encrease food safety culture if 40% of staff on the plant is outsourcing?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:55 AM

Hi Cherryyy, firstly welcome to the IFSQN.

If I get your question correctly then 40% of your staff are not permanent employees and change a lot.

If this is correct the good news is, you have a stable workforce of 60%. 

You can focus your attention on these employees and develop systems and practices that help maintain a good and improving food safety culture.  Then any outsourced or temporary employee should have a strong induction to the company and be assigned a mentor who they can work alongside to instil good behaviour and monitor performance and compliance etc.

Just a broad idea.

Let me know if my answer is on the right track and then other members can give their ideas.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:
SQFconsultant

Marina_Y

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

Hi Simon,
You understood my question absolutely right, i mean temporary staff who change frequently.
So thank you very much for advice!

foodguy63

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Dad, average activities enthusiast, and science nerd utilizing a risk-based analysis to take on life.

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

Hey Marina_Y,

We also have a large number of temporary employees in our facility (sometimes up to 50%).  We have some form of on-boarding for all of our employees and have increased the information and time we provide to temporary employees. We have found that even our temporary individuals have responded to the increased communication and are buying into the food safety culture.

• Marina_Y and food_safety_insider like this

Best,

foodguy63

Marina_Y

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:49 AM

Hey Marina_Y,

We also have a large number of temporary employees in our facility (sometimes up to 50%). We have some form of on-boarding for all of our employees and have increased the information and time we provide to temporary employees. We have found that even our temporary individuals have responded to the increased communication and are buying into the food safety culture.

Marina_Y

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

Thanks a lot for the answer, foodguy63!
What do you mean on "form of on-boarding"? Is it possible to share this form?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:00 PM   Best Answer

What we do is convey to the temp agency a list of things, starting the GMPs and including current corona virus steps that the temp agency must cover before they send temps to our facility. The potential temps need to sign off on these items.

The agency goes through these lists so at least people are familiar with what we require. Now, we did set this up in advance with the temp agency, but they should be willing to work with you on this.

-Setanta         

foodguy63

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Dad, average activities enthusiast, and science nerd utilizing a risk-based analysis to take on life.

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

Thanks a lot for the answer, foodguy63!
What do you mean on "form of on-boarding"? Is it possible to share this form?

Sorry, I can see how that was misleading. What I meant to say was all of our employees (temporary or full time) go through an on-boarding process. Our full time employees have a longer process that includes computer learning. Both temporary and full time employees have an "orientation" program where they meet face to face with one of our QA technicians and cover GMPs (again), walk the common areas, and go over how to put on PPE, wash their hands, and enter the facility. This whole process does take time, but we are finding all of our employees are becoming stronger advocates for food safety. As a side note, we also have translators available throughout the process for individuals with language barriers. 

Best,

foodguy63

Marina_Y

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Russia
    Russia

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

Lot of thanks for all, guys!
Very good recomendations

Edited by Marina_Y, 23 April 2020 - 05:12 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users