• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 11 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:31 PM

Hello,

On our recent audit, we got an NC for a hole in the ceiling where a hose goes through that's connected to a machine on the production line. The hole wasn't well foamed so unfortunately there was still a gap. The auditor doesn't want us to refill since if it breaks, the foam could fall on the line. 

A metal cover that would cover the hole but also allow the hose to go through was mentioned but I don't know how to find something like that? Is there a specific part name for something like that? I was looking up flanges but didn't find the right thing we need. We don't have a steady maintenance person right now and i'm not maintenance savvy so any help is appreciated!

Thank you!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

I have seen a neat little rubber round thing with a flexible membrane (think rubber band or the consistency of waterchestnut flour wrapped around a ball of green tea ice cream - anyway I saw a plumbing contractor using one of these in a wall where they wanted to pass a hose thru, it really worked well and I think Grainger has them available.

I will say that I don't get how one can run a hose thru a ceiling cleanly.  Interesting.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 03 August 2020 - 03:44 PM.

• SoupsNStuff likes this

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

You can get (or have a fabricator make) "ports" for hose entry, a bit like this: https://www.northsho...doexpopamo.html

(You'll perhaps want something a bit more robust, but it illustrates the idea). Is the ceiling easily reachable to be able to open/close it as needed?

If the use of the hose routing is a fairly regular occurrence then as an alternative you could potentially consider fitting the hole with a permanent piece of pipework and either linking it up to a manifold so you can just connect it in as needed, or just fit it with screw-on caps and link a hose up to either end as required. Not always possible though, but the port things work pretty well where needed.

• SoupsNStuff likes this

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:25 AM

Additionally you could use a bulkhead flange. I have used in the past for air lines. You can get a nice tight seal either threaded or solvent, in sizes 1" to 4" +

• SoupsNStuff likes this

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:33 PM

Use these flexible escutcheons in the link below.  Once installed you never have to worry about them. SS and silicone so it will not corrode and it is self-sealing around the pipe and flexible.  There are ones that can be wrapped around existing piping.

https://www.csidesig...sories/pipetite

Thanked by 2 Members:
Slab , SoupsNStuff

SoupsNStuff

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 11 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:47 PM

Use these flexible escutcheons in the link below.  Once installed you never have to worry about them. SS and silicone so it will not corrode and it is self-sealing around the pipe and flexible.  There are ones that can be wrapped around existing piping.

Yes this is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for! Thank you!!

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:08 PM

We use a two piece metal flange around pipes. Screwed and bonded to the ceiling. Just need to monitor for condition regularly depending on cleaning practices.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:43 PM

We use a two piece metal flange around pipes. Screwed and bonded to the ceiling. Just need to monitor for condition regularly depending on cleaning practices.

Historically, this was the standard, but these flexible escutcheons require zero maintenance if installed correctly.  It is a true set it and forget it.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maintenance, sqf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users