What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Glass and Brittle Plastic Register

Started by , Sep 25 2008 12:36 PM
10 Replies
Good morning,
I am helping my company pursue BRC certification at 2 of our facilities. In documenting the programs, a discussion as arisen regarding the requirements for 4.8.4.2.
For the list of items, would it be acceptable to utilize a map with a legend? My thoughts are that an engineering drawing of the area with locations noted and a legend describing the type of material at each location would offer much greater clarity. Text descriptions are subjective and can get wordy.

Thanks all,
Ed
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar Glass Policy and SOP Glass and Hard plastic check
[Ad]

Hi Ed

I use a "map" of each machine to act as an aide memoire.
But you also have to risk assess your glass, so i use this map to show where the glass / plastic or ceramic is.

i also have one for risk assessing potential foreign bodies on each machine.

c x

Dear Ed,

Welcome to the forum !

The BRC standard sadly includes the word "list" so I fear this is auditor-definitive although you are correct, things starts to get wordy.
The BRC hv considerably expanded some topics inc. this one, possibly due to an existence of real data or. more likely, their determination to provide maximum back coverage.

Rgds / Charles.C

Good morning,
I am helping my company pursue BRC certification at 2 of our facilities. In documenting the programs, a discussion as arisen regarding the requirements for 4.8.4.2.
For the list of items, would it be acceptable to utilize a map with a legend? My thoughts are that an engineering drawing of the area with locations noted and a legend describing the type of material at each location would offer much greater clarity. Text descriptions are subjective and can get wordy.

Thanks all,
Ed

Sounds good to me Ed. A picture paints a thousand words. Then you just have to decide how often you check the integrity of each item. Like Caz said frequency should be based on risk assessment. I always advise that anything on or around the manufacturing / packing area with open or exposed product the check should be built into production order or shift start up procedures and carried out by operators.

Regards,
Simon

We here goes for my first reply.

For a long time we relyed on a list which only the originator(me)could follow, this took the best part of a day to complete and was an ordeal, for the last 2 years we have divided our large factory into small manageable areas, each area risk assessed and categorised 'A' high risk checked at the start of every shift, 'B' medium risk checked monthly and 'C' low risk checked 6 monthly, it takes the form of a very simple plan with numbered points, together with a numbered list, see attachment, this has made such a difference now the shift auditors carry this out adding it effortlessly into their duties, together with our comprehensive breakage reporting and clean up procedure we feel this is well covered. However there is always room for improvement, any suggestions.
1 Like14 Thanks
Looks great Lyn, nice and simple layout, like you say makes it easier for operators and means there is more chance of it getting done. Thanks for sharing and I sincerely hope it’s not your last post.

Welcome to the forums.

Regards,
Simon

This looks nice and elaborate it does make work easier for the person conducting the check

BENITO.

Nice list LynA.. I like how the map and the list are on the same page. I think that I may have to do this at our plant. Thanks for the idea.

:welcome:

For a long time we relyed on a list which only the originator(me)could follow, this took the best part of a day to complete and was an ordeal, for the last 2 years we have divided our large factory into small manageable areas, each area risk assessed and categorised 'A' high risk checked at the start of every shift, 'B' medium risk checked monthly and 'C' low risk checked 6 monthly, it takes the form of a very simple plan with numbered points, together with a numbered list, see attachment, this has made such a difference now the shift auditors carry this out adding it effortlessly into their duties, together with our comprehensive breakage reporting and clean up procedure we feel this is well covered. However there is always room for improvement, any suggestions.

Thanks for sharing Lyn, exactly what I needed to improve on what the plants currently have. 

Good Afternoon,

we have recently became BRC certified and I had a question on the Glass & Brittle Plastics. I had seen where some individuals are providing a map of areas with these items present. Do you think it makes more of a visual to the auditors on return visit? In other words should be include this in future audits.

Thank you,

Terina

:welcome:

This is great, looking for an idea of recording glass & plastics, thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar Glass Policy and SOP Glass and Hard plastic check Glass and Brittle Plastic Register Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventory (form) Do we need to add plastic cat trap to our Glass and Brittle Plastic controls? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Glass Receptacle X-ray Validation for special-risk group population