What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Coffee labels - how much decaf is decaf?

Started by , Oct 31 2008 11:44 PM
1 Reply
I belive in the U.S., to consider a coffee decaffienated, it has to have been reduced by 97.5%. Is there any flexibility or tolerance in the accuracy of '% decafeinted' statements?

For example, I know a nutritional panel can be 'off' by up to 20% due to variances in product and lab testing.

What if a coffee is 97.5% reduced caffeine and it is so labeled - but the company has test to show that it is actually had a higher reduction in caffeine? can they list, 99.5 % caffeine free beans...in the ingredient statement?

To what level is accuracy requried? + or - what?
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
RTD Coffee Processing Standards Coffee Sensory Override Cleaning Procedures in Coffee Manufacturing and Packaging Coffee Supplier does not have 3rd party food safety audit Coffee in Hazard Anlaysis
[Ad]

I belive in the U.S., to consider a coffee decaffienated, it has to have been reduced by 97.5%. Is there any flexibility or tolerance in the accuracy of '% decafeinted' statements?

For example, I know a nutritional panel can be 'off' by up to 20% due to variances in product and lab testing.

What if a coffee is 97.5% reduced caffeine and it is so labeled - but the company has test to show that it is actually had a higher reduction in caffeine? can they list, 99.5 % caffeine free beans...in the ingredient statement?

To what level is accuracy requried? + or - what?

Can anyone advise Cathy on labelling statements?

Similar Discussion Topics
RTD Coffee Processing Standards Coffee Sensory Override Cleaning Procedures in Coffee Manufacturing and Packaging Coffee Supplier does not have 3rd party food safety audit Coffee in Hazard Anlaysis Specialty coffee roastery - HACCP elements - complete newbie! Creating SOP for Coffee Cupping STD Are Green Coffee Beans considered food? Coffee Shop Ops Manual Help with EMP for a coffee roaster?