What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does anyone have a procedure for caffeine determination?

Started by , Dec 08 2008 12:06 PM
10 Replies
hi!
does anyone have a procedure for caffeine determination? thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste In House Label Disfigurement Procedure
[Ad]
Dear Abbie,

May I know what kind of product that you willing to know it's caffeine content? As far as I am concern, the most good thing to measure a complex chemical substance is by using HPLC. But I have a reference that mention how to conduct a caffeine analysis, in term of extracting it:
http://www.newton.de...0/chem00291.htm

Or, you want to see various decaffeination processes, which (I assume) can be modified into caffeine determination:
http://en.wikipedia..../Decaffeination

I have some info regarding caffeine content from various products too:
http://www.coffeefaq.com/site/node/23

http://www.coffeefaq.com/site/node/22

Hope might helps.

Regards,

Arya
1 Like1 Thank
hiya!
thanks for the links. Its for coffee, both instant and ground. I was wondering if we could do the analysis in the lab but I think the HPLC would be more accurate (just a little more expensive). Maybe we can try the one you sent me for monitoring purposes.
Dear Arya,

Hv to praise yr amazing encyclopaedia of analytical links

Rgds / Charles.C
The other method is Spectroscopy with Ethanol as solvent and the wavelength are 285 nm(exitation) and 440 nm(Emission)

Dear Arya, Hv to praise yr amazing encyclopaedia of analytical links Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles C.,

Thank you very much. Let's say that I have a great role model, who always provide analytical posts :)

Regards,

Arya
Greetings,

As i am looking for determination of caffeine in 3 in 1 coffee and cappuccino, luckily i got this thread where already discussions are going on...

If i receive any info from outside i will put it here, meantime I want to know how much caffeine is there in coffee products, the caffeine concentration is determined accurately by HPLC and NIR spectroscopy but all are very expensive. I am looking for simple and fast accurate method - like solvent extraction from coffee products or titration, etc.

please share if anyone has the same..

Dear Abdul,

I made a quick searh and here is what I 've found:

Analytical Methods for Quantification of Methylxanthines

Good luck and Merry Xmas! HO HO HO! :D
Cheers!
Filip

Greetings Filips,
Due to busiest schedule i am unable to see your message and reply, i decided and sent samples to third party analysis.
Many thanks for all your efforts.
Cheers,

Obtain a bottle of chemical grade caffeine.

Determine the allowable limit. 

Based on the limit create a caffeine standard 1mg/L = 1ppm

Measure absorbance of standard and sample. Sample absorbance must be lower than standard to justify absence

Validate method with HPLC, etc.

Obtain a bottle of chemical grade caffeine.

Determine the allowable limit. 

Based on the limit create a caffeine standard 1mg/L = 1ppm

Measure absorbance of standard and sample. Sample absorbance must be lower than standard to justify absence

Validate method with HPLC, etc.

10-year old thread but thanks anyway

Similar Discussion Topics
Food loss and waste procedure Validated Monitoring Procedure for Frozen Meat Products. BRC 4.6.1 - procedure to document purchase specification for new equipment Pasteurization Procedure for Tom Yum Paste In House Label Disfigurement Procedure Does anyone have a really good template for a standard operating procedure work instruction? OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Pallet cleaning procedure and tape on the floors Traceability procedure in chocolate and candy making Table for identification and assessment of risks and determination of control measures