What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Advice on Sharps

Started by , Jan 28 2009 11:02 PM
3 Replies
Please can somebody add any ideas or advise!!!

Currently we are useing one piece solid stainless knives in our raw mateials areas to open bags etc. We have recently had an audit by our major customer and they have recommended we change our knives which i totally agree with this statement as there is a risk of metal contamination from the points of the knife is a risk. Not only that they go blunt which then the operators are then using the knives as a saw which is adding a further risk.

I have tryed safety knives but they dont seem to be practicle. I need to be carefal as two piece knives will trap dough in the ridges which will give me a hygiene issue. I have been trying for a while to find an alternative but have yet come up with a solution.

Can someone help!!!!

Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Thank you for all the advice! Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role
[Ad]
Dear stoker,

What I can suggest is to requesting a package that may ripped/teared easily by hand. It will help to reduce the working time and energy.

Another suggest is... using stainless steel scissors instead of knife. If it get blunt, I suggest to grind it, or buy a new one. For the hygiene issue, I think dough wont trapped easily on the scissors. But even if it trapped, I guess we can clean it down with easily and regularly (just spray the 70% alcohol and wipe it).

Hope helps.

Regards,

Arya
I’ve purchased knives from all of these previously:

Safety Knives 1

Safety Knives 2

Safety Knives 3

Maybe help you to find what you’re looking for.

Regards,
Simon
Dear Stoker,

If you have a metal detector in your process, I would stay with the one piece metal knifes.
Metal pieces will be detected. Plastic parts will not.

You can implement a knife control check in which you check daily (end of the production) if all knives are still intact. If not, you can take corrective actions on the products.

Similar Discussion Topics
Thank you for all the advice! Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Advice about employing a BRC Consultant Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Advice on becoming a food safety auditor FSVP Need advice on how to proceed Food Defense Monitoring Advice Advice for maintaining bathroom and toilet hygiene