What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Glass & Brittle Plastics

Started by , Feb 09 2009 06:40 PM
18 Replies
Having a difficult time writing a Glass & Brittle Plastics policy. What I have seems simple, yet effective. Can anyone help? Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar Glass Policy and SOP Glass and Hard plastic check
[Ad]

Having a difficult time writing a Glass & Brittle Plastics policy. What I have seems simple, yet effective. Can anyone help? Thanks

Of course we can!

just say something along the lines of

"we XXX will ensure that all glass, ceramics and hard plastics utelised within our operation, including production areas will be recorded on a glass register and inspected against a schedule which has been risk assessed"

hope it helps

cazx

Ours is fairly simple also:
  • List what is allowed
  • Inventory/Inspect to the list
  • What to do if something breaks
  • Handling jars in production processes (we use glass jars on a very limited basis)

What have you got so far Kirsten - can you post it?
1 Thank

What have you got so far Kirsten - can you post it?
same with the others.. IMEX we add " no Hg thermometer glass in production area, and all of glasses (lamp and windows ) in production must be cover by film )"
Here is one checklist for glass jar handing, very practical one for manual handling can food.

Attached Files

Greetings for the day,

Here is the Glass & Brittle Plastics Policy (Thanks to IFSQN)

Glass, Wood and Brittle Plastics Policy Statement

• THE FOOD COMPANY is committed to adopting a policy of glass, wood and brittle plastic breakages-free process in its premises.
  • By this commitment, THE FOOD COMPANY minimises the risk of potential product contaminations by glass, wood and brittle plastics.
  • Wherever possible, items constructed of glass, wood and brittle plastic is avoided from the factory. Where no satisfactory alternatives can be found, such articles shall be protected in a manner which can be prevented from being shattered or when in an emergency situation, shattered fragments can be contained in a manner that would eliminate or prevent potential cross contaminations.
  • It is the company’s policy to provide continual monitoring of glass, wood and brittle plastic articles within the factory. This shall be done once annually or whenever deem necessary.
  • All process and non-process articles including process equipments shall be subject to risk assessment and the “Glass and Brittle Plastics Register” updated as required and maintained.
  • This policy of controlling the application of articles that are made of glass, wood and brittle plastics has been established, documented and is subject to regular reviews, verification and validation by the FSMS Team and Top Management Representative as reflective of its intended objectives and commitment

Approved date: 04th June, 2008

-------------------------------------------------
Quality Assurance Manager

It is the company’s policy to provide continual monitoring of glass, wood and brittle plastic articles within the factory. This shall be done once annually or whenever deem necessary.

Pretty good Abdul thanks. This inspection should also be based on risk assessment. For example in production area where there is a risk, before starting production and at the end of the production shift.

Regards,

Tony
1 Like

• List what is allowed
  • Handling jars in production processes (we use glass jars on a very limited basis)

Same here.

~>One thing we also implimented to help up in our policy/program was a Glass and Brittle Plastic Facility Guide to help with our self audits-it included pictures, locations, quantities and descriptions of each type of glass and brittle plastic found in the productions areas. This book also aids us in foreign material indentification and has turned out to be a very resourceful guide for both the plant and corporate level management. (Biggest problem I have found is that it HAS to be kept up to date or it is virtually useless. With a big facility this can be a full time job-Just something to keep in mind)

Same here.

~>One thing we also implimented to help up in our policy/program was a Glass and Brittle Plastic Facility Guide to help with our self audits-it included pictures, locations, quantities and descriptions of each type of glass and brittle plastic found in the productions areas. This book also aids us in foreign material indentification and has turned out to be a very resourceful guide for both the plant and corporate level management. (Biggest problem I have found is that it HAS to be kept up to date or it is virtually useless. With a big facility this can be a full time job-Just something to keep in mind)

Maybe a frequency of inspection based on risk assessment as well?

Regards,

Tony
Dear All,

You also need to include a procedure to say what happens incase of glass breakage i.e segregation of materials affected,cleaning up sand recording of the incident.

Regards,
Jeremy

Dear All,

You also need to include a procedure to say what happens incase of glass breakage i.e segregation of materials affected,cleaning up sand recording of the incident.

Regards,
Jeremy

Yip and don't forget that some certificate bodies and major retailers require that all staff are aware of the glass policy and procedure... its preferable to have this included in staff inductions
Dear qualitycheese,

Welcome to the forum !

Is it Good Quality Cheese or the Opposite ?? (from the humanoid view)

Rgds / Charles.C

Yip and don't forget that some certificate bodies and major retailers require that all staff are aware of the glass policy and procedure... its preferable to have this included in staff inductions

Do you know if BRC requires this? I think SQF does.

Dear qualitycheese,

Welcome to the forum !

Is it Good Quality Cheese or the Opposite ?? (from the humanoid view)

Rgds / Charles.C

Thanks Charles
Good Quality cheese of course...lol

Do you know if BRC requires this? I think SQF does.

I can't remember exactly but i'll have a look at the standard Version 5... can't wait till version 6.. NOT

• List what is allowed

In addition to the above it will also help if you categorized the glass and brittle plastic depending on the risk. This way you can have 3 to 4 criteria and you can easily identify which glass can be inspected by shift, daily, monthly, quarterly or yearly.

can anyone assist - I need some literature  that proves/ disproves  that wire  re-inforced glass (Wire mesh glass) is shatterproof .

Do you have to number each item on the glass register?

Similar Discussion Topics
Mayonnaise Glass Bottling Plant Process Glass Registry BRCGS 4.9.3 Glass, brittle plastic, ceramics, and similar Glass Policy and SOP Glass and Hard plastic check Glass and Brittle Plastic Register Glass and Brittle Plastic Inventory (form) Do we need to add plastic cat trap to our Glass and Brittle Plastic controls? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Glass Receptacle X-ray Validation for special-risk group population