What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What is the difference between Validation and Verification?

Started by , Jun 22 2009 01:02 PM
8 Replies
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between validation and verification??
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Verification & Validation - scheduling, methods, etc. Metal Detector Validation
[Ad]

Below is great explanation extracted from an earlier discussion here: HACCP Validation and Verification
You will also find futher links in the above thread.

Thanks to Moo73Steve for this explanation.

Validation - Is what we are doing going to achieve what we want. (Normally a scientific study etc, i.e will cooking to 75 degrees C kill the pathogens of interest)

Verification - Are we achieving what we say we are doing. (Day to day montiring, i.e. are we acheiving a cook of 75 degrees C.)

Micro testing is mostly a verification step (particularly in positive release programs), but may form part of a study to prove a process (i.e. validation). If you are doing it regularly I suggest it is verification.

Calibration would be part of a support program used to ensure measuring devices are accurate for your monitoring. Monitoring would form part of a verification program also.

1 Like

Hi Carine, You will find a simple and effective explanation below. It was from this earlier thread here: HACCP Validation and Verification

Thanks to Moo73Steve.

Validation - Is what we are doing going to achieve what we want. (Normally a scientific study etc, i.e will cooking to 75 degrees C kill the pathogens of interest)

Verification - Are we achieving what we say we are doing. (Day to day montiring, i.e. are we acheiving a cook of 75 degrees C.)

Micro testing is mostly a verification step (particularly in positive release programs), but may form part of a study to prove a process (i.e. validation). If you are doing it regularly I suggest it is verification.

Calibration would be part of a support program used to ensure measuring devices are accurate for your monitoring. Monitoring would form part of a verification program also.

Not sure if it's already covered but in laymans terms, I like to describe validation as "can it control the hazard?" and verification as "I think I've controlled the hazard but these are the ways to double check I have".

According to me the difference between validation & verification is:

Validation:
  • pool of data
  • information from experience
  • own trials and testings
  • source from internet or newspaper or media.
Verification:
  • cross checking
  • confirmation
Validation comes under Planning and Verification comes under Check (look for PDCA cycle)

Abdul Qudoos

Not sure if it's already covered but in laymans terms, I like to describe validation as "can it control the hazard?" and verification as "I think I've controlled the hazard but these are the ways to double check I have".

In "layerman" terms:
Validation- Do we perform the correct action?
Verification- Do we perform the action correctly?
Lot's of great examples and definitions - thank's everyone.

Are you clear on the difference between validation and verification now Carine?
according to International vocabulary of basic and general terms in metrology (VIM) the definiton of validation and verification are :

Validation : confirmation through examination of a given item and provision of objective evidence that it fulfils the requirements for a stated intended use

Verification : confirmation through examination of a given item and provision of objective evidence that it fulfils specified requirements
Dear All,

Many thanks to all info, i get what u all means..

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Verification & Validation - scheduling, methods, etc. Metal Detector Validation What should be included in a cook validation? Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? What is meant by an SQFI Validation Audit? What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? Validation of prerequisites such as pest control