What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Air Curtains - Data-Based Criteria For Effectiveness?

Started by , Jun 23 2010 09:19 PM
8 Replies
All:

I'm hoping some of you may be able to send me in the right direction on this one. We've had some discussion lately about the effectiveness of air curtains, and I'm wondering whether there is any research available to demonstrate what air velocity is needed for them to be effective at preventing pest ingress. Is there a way to do an operational check to verify their effectiveness (i.e. using an anemometer or similar device)?

For those of you who are Monty Python fans, I don't think knowing the air velocity of a swallow will help me out on this one. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jon

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company Tips and tricks or easier ways to create Safety Data Sheets Data logger monitoring
[Ad]

For those of you who are Monty Python fans, I don't think knowing the air velocity of a swallow will help me out on this one. :-)

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Unforntunately I can't help you with your question.
I can't help you either Jon.

All:

I'm hoping some of you may be able to send me in the right direction on this one. We've had some discussion lately about the effectiveness of air curtains, and I'm wondering whether there is any research available to demonstrate what air velocity is needed for them to be effective at preventing pest ingress. Is there a way to do an operational check to verify their effectiveness (i.e. using an anemometer or similar device)?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Jon

Hi;

i dont know anything for measure velocity (just anemometer) but

for air curtains;

Door height &width also engine power is important for prevent from pest.

max. door height should be 6 m. According to the wideness you have to add more air curtains.

13m/s velocity can be protected your facility.
Simon -

Nice! Thanks for that. :-)

I can't help you either Jon.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2R3FvS4xr4"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y2R3FvS4xr4[/url]

Hi Jon

I'm afraid that the answer to your question is that your question is a bit too vague. What pests are you talking about? Flies will be kept out relatively easily if they are relatively small, but I've seen wasps and birds both walk in through an air curtain. They certainly will not stop rodents, although they may have a deterrent effect.

Your assessment should be based upon a specific set of risks and the questions asked of those situations.

One simplistic method of checking effectiveness on flying insect would be by doing on/off comparison counts in a fly killer situated inside the doorway. It does give quite gross numbers, but if there is a signficant difference in species count, that could be seen as proof of effectiveness. I can't find any published data on any direct empirical work, sorry.
Thank you for your feedback.

I think pest control can be looked at in the same way as any other food safety issue; that is, in a HACCP-based system, hazards must be eliminated OR reduced to an acceptable level. Pest control is a PRP, not a CCP, but I think the philosophy still fits. Very few if any pests can be controlled absolutely, I think, but if we can keep the great majority of them out of the building we're in good shape. Clean rooms, of course, are a different story. There should rarely, if ever, be any pests of any sort in a clean room. That's my opinion, and of course depends on the sort of operation.

Hi Jon

I'm afraid that the answer to your question is that your question is a bit too vague. What pests are you talking about? Flies will be kept out relatively easily if they are relatively small, but I've seen wasps and birds both walk in through an air curtain. They certainly will not stop rodents, although they may have a deterrent effect.

Your assessment should be based upon a specific set of risks and the questions asked of those situations.

One simplistic method of checking effectiveness on flying insect would be by doing on/off comparison counts in a fly killer situated inside the doorway. It does give quite gross numbers, but if there is a signficant difference in species count, that could be seen as proof of effectiveness. I can't find any published data on any direct empirical work, sorry.

I agree with you Jon, but you did ask a specific question about effectiveness. :)
Dear jon5,

For starters, thanks to google -

http://www.jsaircurt...96-application/

http://www.globalind...al-air-curtains

Despite the above, my personal experience (for small-medium flies) has not been too good within a wet product input environment > rapid rusting. Giant size, internally mounted, out-blowing fan (near hat-lifting velocity!) + multiple electrocuters was ultimately less hassle.

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.5.1 Validation and Effectiveness Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company Tips and tricks or easier ways to create Safety Data Sheets Data logger monitoring HACCP Guidance Plant Based Protein Meat Alternatives. Multicriteria-based ranking for risk management of food-borne parasite Does anyone use a specialized software to input data from lab tests? Strip Curtains height and length Plant-based Beverage Name Regulation