What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to maintain the grade for fresh tuna loins?

Started by , Aug 28 2010 09:14 PM
5 Replies
Hi All,

Grade of tuna loins depends on many factors such as method of catching and onboard handling of tuna (yellow fin and big eye) but let say these factors are not counted and we only assess the factors at cutting and moving forwards. To my knowledge, the folowing factors should be considred

- Storage temperature of the loins (the closer to 32 oF or 0oC, the longer the shelf-life)

- Packaging (regular packing with plastic bag, regular packing with moisture asorbent diaper and plastic bag, vacuum packing with breathable bag etc)

My question is

- Is vacumm packaging with asborbent diaper and breathable bag better than regular packaging with (loose) plastic bag and diaper?

- Is there any different way or combined method of packaging to extend the grade (or shelf-life) of tuna loins?

- If gel ice is used, what kind of gel ice (shape, dimension, quality of gel powder) is most suited for the loins because big gel ice could cause damage to the loins during the delivery

Any reply or recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Non-food grade ingredient Approved Grade A Tanker wash stations in CA Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs
[Ad]
BUMP for Seafood safety.
Bumpety Bump.
Hello,
Its good, Grade & Shelf life,, i feel different. Grade in Tuna meat, is up to color,, Shelf life time can increase by MAP.
I ll try to send more answer.....
Thanks & Regards,

I would like to share my knowledge with u, currently working as a Quality Assurance Executive in Tuna Processing Plant - Maldives.
Thanks for your input Salivan. Are you still around Seafood Safety?
Thanks Salivan

I am waiting for more information from you and other members.

Regards,

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Using cattle salt-non food grade on a food production line Non-food grade ingredient Approved Grade A Tanker wash stations in CA Sanitation - suppliers of food grade brushes, brooms, and scrubs How to maintain a receiving and production system for recall? Shelf life issue fresh fish Food Grade Designations Storage of chemicals, lubricants, food and non-food grade Cutting fresh water fish