What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pulp Separation or Precipitation in Mango Juice

Started by , Nov 12 2010 07:57 AM
8 Replies
Dear All

Can anybody guide in finding the root cause behind pulp separation / sedimentation in mango juice (15 - 16%) pulp content. & also how to overcome this problem. The process of juice making is a standardised one with all unit operation including homogenisation.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Screen for syrups with pulp and fruit pieces Can anyone recommend a supplier of baobab pulp powder? Tamarind (Pulp Containing) Juice Separation Is Fruit Pulp and Puree beneficial? Traceability of rework (Polystyrene and Pulp)
[Ad]

Dear All

Can anybody guide in finding the root cause behind pulp separation / sedimentation in mango juice (15 - 16%) pulp content. & also how to overcome this problem. The process of juice making is a standardised one with all unit operation including homogenisation.

Hi- I know nothing about mango juice but as no-one else seems to either-I'll have a crack at it -and at least maybe kick start the discussion!

As i understand it the homogenisation step is included to completely mix the juice- so the most straightforward answer might be incomplete homogenisation?- is yours done under pressure?

Regards

Mike
1 Thank
The juice is homogenised at 2000 PSI ( 130 bar)

The juice is homogenised at 2000 PSI ( 130 bar)

Possibly not due to too large or eneven particle size then! -but you might want to look at this link which is suggesting 200-300 bar as the optimum homogenisation pressure for decreasing sedimentation in pineapple pulp(not being a 'fruit guy' I'm unsure as to how pineapple compares to mango though!)

Regards

mike
1 Thank
Dear sujitfni,

Could you consider use of plant based stabilizers such as pectin as a solution to this problem? And just to kn ow has it been a persistent problem or a one time thing?

Regards,

Agwanda
1 Thank
I'm not a juice expert but i have am into juice/beverage manufacturing. the causes of separation can be enzyme activity(PME), Pulp size and Content, air separation during processing. Precipitation can be caused by high alkalinity water so you have to check if the water that you use meet beverage manufacturing specs. I also the same problem but in orange juice of final brix 36.75 that we make from orange oil, 50brix concentrate, treated water and powdered ingredients.
1 Thank

Dear All

I have also encountered problem with sedimentation. Pulp always separate and its natural.
Main causes in a case study I did was (inadequate) lack of stabilization by heating. Seems all the pectinase was not deactivated. I have seen improvement for value added juice by using CMC.
2 Thanks
Hello all,

Have to consider some basic things.
  • Type of Stabilizer and time of mixing
  • Mango variety
  • homogenization efficiency checking
  • Water Quality
Faisal RAfique
1 Thank
Homogenization is of no use when fat is not the subject matter. Size of sieve which you have mentioned earlier i.e. 1 mm; I feel that it should be 3mm at least. This will help in maintaining pulp natural consistency/viscosity to optimum. And, high speed dispersion with toothed disc attached agitator can be helpful. High pressure homogenization having valve and sheet to run with 500 to 2000 psi need not be used.

Dear All

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Screen for syrups with pulp and fruit pieces Can anyone recommend a supplier of baobab pulp powder? Tamarind (Pulp Containing) Juice Separation Is Fruit Pulp and Puree beneficial? Traceability of rework (Polystyrene and Pulp) Sulphur dioxide in coconut juice with pulp Frui juice Pulp % Best tubular pasteurizer (HTST) for viscous puree (with pulp)? Fruit Pulp in Yoghurt/skim milk HACCP for food packaging made of pulp material