What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Product Specification Writing Advice

Started by , Dec 12 2010 09:37 PM
13 Replies
Hi All,

Could anyone help me with basics of specification writing?

Key things we need to address consider or explain etc.

Kindest regards

Martin Blue

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling
[Ad]
Dear MartinBlue,

For What?

The information is not mandatory but it does assist.

Rgds / Charles.C
Hi Charles,
Thanks for asking. I am not looking for a particular product just want some know how to write specification it may be for RTE or ingredients etc

regards
Martin Blue

Has anyone got an example specification to post?

Hi All,

Could anyone help me with basics of specification writing?

Key things we need to address consider or explain etc.

Kindest regards

Martin Blue

Dear MArtin,

To write specification, you have to collect the data and analyze using statistic method... or ... you can find the regulation of your product and you can follow it to your product specification.. and for the specifiaction writng ussually use formula :

X ± Y , X = target value and Y = tolerance number

rgds

AS Nur

Hi AS Nur,

Thanks for taking time to help me out.
Would it be possible for you to share any written procedure or template.

I would much appreciate your help.

Regards
Martin Blue

Dear Martinblue,

The basics are fairly straightforward. The details for specific products / locations are often not.

eg
Company / Product names / Code
General description inc, very brief basic manufacturing process.
Physical Safety - Non-safety criteria
Chemical ditto
microbiological ditto
Packaging / Labelling details / shelf life

+ some / all of other (special?)items like expected within the opening product spec. page of a HACCP plan which I'm sure you know already (eg designated consumers.) (There are hundreds of examples of "+" on the net of course.)

One example -

http://www.queenswoo...specs/DF475.pdf

Of course, if you include the detailed procedures for checking the criteria things can get a lot more complicated.

Few more links ranging from heavyweight to the opposite.

http://www.aibintern...cationSheet.pdf

http://www.fns.usda....foods/specs.htm

http://www.esp-world...ibella-dugo.pdf

I hope you are following the yoghurt thread where a specimen prod.spec. is already being developed.

Rgds / Charles.C
1 Thank
If someone can teach me how to upload a PDF, I can forward a sample food product specification to Martin Blue. :)

If someone can teach me how to upload a PDF, I can forward a sample food product specification to Martin Blue. :)

It's straightforward once you know how.

Rather than try to teach you see if you can understand it from the help information here:
http://www.ifsqn.com...ore&module=help

It explains attachments under "POSTING"

Regards,
Simon
Right! You have to click "Use full editor" to see the attachment section. I was simply clicking "post". Ok, for all you new beginners out there?

Well, here is a sample of a food product specification.

It is very simple but details all relevant information. The aim of this product spec was to have all on one page only. Don't worry so much about the sections that have been filled. They are for Australian standards.

I can't recall which country you are from (your message doesn't show on my screen as I type this - is this another trick I need to learn?). Your country might have slightly different requirements.

Remember the aim behind a product specification: product information from a safety and quality perspective.

It is also ideal for customers that purchase pallets of your products. How many packets are in a box? What size is the box? The weight of each box? What is the total weight for a pallet? How many products and how many boxes fit on a pallet? And so forth.

Sometimes, product specifications will need to be tailored to include customer requirements as well as safety, quality and regulatory requirements.

Good luck, and I hope you and other readers have found this attachment useful.

Product Specification.pdf   135.38KB   466 downloads
2 Thanks
Thanks Charles.
it was really helpful.
regards
Martinblue
Hi JAKMQA,

Really appreciate your support.
regards
Martniblue

Hi JAKMQA,

Really appreciate your support.
regards
Martniblue

You're most welcome. Hope it came in handy!
1 Thank
The product spec pdf posted by JAKMQA specifies the product attributes,
Being an allergen free manufacturer I am always asked for (and ask my suppliers for) a PIF (Product information Form) that lists allergen cross contacts as well as mandatory statements and declarations for the product/ingredient.
The PIF form has been jointly developed by the Australian Grocery Council and Allergen Bureau and a copy is available from their website http://www.allergenb....3-17-12-10.xls
I add a summarised version of this to the back of any specification I write as it provides all data about the product, including potential allergen cross contamination, and avoids the inevitable customer allergen info request.
Unfortunatly it takes a 2-3 page spec and makes it 18 - 20 pages, but in todays world of due dilligence... I think it is worth it.
In my situation I always ask for this information from my suppliers as it makes it difficult to complete VITAL analysis (see previous posts) without it.

Cosmo

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Foreign Material Handling for product with meat filling Intestines - Edible Meat Product? Can I use up current packaging or is new required if the product formulation has changed? What are the quality parameters that need to be included in the product specification sheet? SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records What are the elements that need to be included in the final product specification?