What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What makes an effective Food Safety Management System?

Started by , Dec 20 2010 08:44 AM
13 Replies
As an end of year discussion I thought it would be useful for members to share their ideas on the essential ingredients required to make an effective Food Safety Management System.

Pooling our knowledge may help us to identify gaps and weaknesses in our own systems and assist us in compiling improvement actions ready for the New Year!

Please share your best practice.

Regards,
Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product
[Ad]
The first ingredient I would have would be genuine senior management commitment. Not just "tick box", not just "oh we're doing this for BRC" but MDs and Ops managers who are genuinely interested in Technical results.

With that as a strong basis, whatever system you put in place will be halfway there IMO.
1 Like

The first ingredient I would have would be genuine senior management commitment. Not just "tick box", not just "oh we're doing this for BRC" but MDs and Ops managers who are genuinely interested in Technical results.

With that as a strong basis, whatever system you put in place will be halfway there IMO.

Great start and definately top of the list GMO!

I would say the next step is continous improvement processes. As told by Simon's original question, no matter how good of a system you put in at the start, it will always need adjusted and modified to meet changes in company, industry, regulations and society.
For starters competent and motivated employees, a main of lean systems and procedures followed by a dessert of continuous improvement.
Dear Simon,

I suppose this is a corollary of the previous -

A set of implementation procedures which are safety-intelligible to the production workers themselves.

Rgds / Charles.C
For me, a clearly identification of all the stages of the food process could be the next step. Also beign aware of all changes that can take place is very important.
I agree 100% with GMO. I also want to add the employees - skilled, experienced, trained & dedicated staffs to prepare, implement and monitor the system effectively and efficiently.

How about resources.
i think open minded employer and top management make continous improvement run well..

BTW i 100% agree with the other previous comments
  • Definitely senior management support
  • Education, education, education and OPEN communication; so many issues occur due to silence or assumptions
  • Continuous improvement: any management system should be part of regular business life
  • Updates via subscriptions, conferences, seminars, forums, journals, networking
  • Internal audits: customer complaint and maintenance trend reports, corrective action registers
  • CLEANING! Should be regarded as PART of product rather than something one is obliged to do
  • Talk it, breathe it, be it. Chats over a lunch break or "ciggie break" can generate the best solutions
1 Thank
An effective fully implemented HACCP Plan.

• CLEANING! Should be regarded as PART of product rather than something one is obliged to do

• Definitely senior management support
  • Education, education, education and OPEN communication; so many issues occur due to silence or assumptions
  • Continuous improvement: any management system should be part of regular business life
  • Updates via subscriptions, conferences, seminars, forums , journals, networking
  • Internal audits: customer complaint and maintenance trend reports, corrective action registers
  • Talk it, breathe it, be it. Chats over a lunch break or "ciggie break" can generate the best solutions

I second that

Similar Discussion Topics
Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? food safety 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention Repackaging of Food Grade product FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification Automatic Labeling System HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES)