What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Chemical Control Program

Started by , Feb 09 2011 04:24 PM
7 Replies
Hello everyone,

Sorry i am back again with question. I was wondering what is the ideal chemical control program. Do we need to maintain inventory and usage log for maintenance chemicals too? If yes what is an idea frequency. What are the chemicals we need to keep inventory.

We keep for (weekly)
pesticide
sanitation chemicals
processing aid chemicals

Do we need to include mentenance chemical?

Dave
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs ATP swabs ≠ Chemical Residue Testing Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils Chemical Concentration verification and records Chemical Testing Requirements on a New Product
[Ad]
Hi Dave,

Here's an example pertaining to 5.4.5.3 (Storage of hazardous Chemicals and Toxic Substances) in the SQF Code that I think covers most bases:

Chemical Storage

Company X has a policy of storing chemicals in a separate locked area away from equipment, products, packaging raw materials and utensils. This area is restricted and only authorized staff is permitted access. Separate storage helps to reduce the risk of contamination. An up-to-date register is maintained of all hazardous chemicals in the store.

Pest Control chemicals are stored in their original containers separate from chemicals for cleaning and sanitation.

When toxic chemicals are stored the storage facility is:

- Designed for its intended purpose with warning hazardous chemical warnings

- Designed so that spillages and drainage from the area are contained

- Compliant with legislative requirements

- Adequately ventilated

- Kept secure and locked when not in use

- Accessible only by authorized trained staff

- Equipped with an emergency shower and washing facilities

- Equipped with protective clothing and first aid equipment

- Equipped with spillage kits and cleaning equipment

Hope that helps,
esquef

So it says inventory will be done for hazardous chemicals.

In maintenance we will find food grade lubricans and some other chemicals. Do we need to keep inventory of that chemicals too? or only restricted access will do work?

Dave
My opinion is the above applies only to hazardous chemicals, not food grade lubricants and the like.

5.4.5 code language does not mention anything about non-hazardous materials.
Hmmmm.

Tricky... sounds good

Certification is FSSC 22000
Facility does not produce ready-to-eat - mainly preservatives, additives, etc.
Many of our ingredients and reagents are hazardous chemicals

Question regarding chemical control program with regard to sanitation chemicals: Must we lock our cleaning chemicals while the rest of the facility houses in bulk the main ingredients of the cleaners?

Thanks!!

Certification is FSSC 22000
Facility does not produce ready-to-eat - mainly preservatives, additives, etc.
Many of our ingredients and reagents are hazardous chemicals

Question regarding chemical control program with regard to sanitation chemicals: Must we lock our cleaning chemicals while the rest of the facility houses in bulk the main ingredients of the cleaners?

Thanks!!

I apologize, I did not intend to place this in the SQF forum
The OP mentioned what would be the "ideal" Chemical Control Program.
IMO, maintenance chemicals (water treatment, boiler treatment, etc) and any chemicals used in a lab should also be included.
In a perfect world, actual usage should be logged but that is a lot easier said than done.

Marshall

Similar Discussion Topics
Cleaning chemical discrepancies and chemical logs ATP swabs ≠ Chemical Residue Testing Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils Chemical Concentration verification and records Chemical Testing Requirements on a New Product Chemical Dilution Concentration (Automatic Dispenser) and Sink Compartment for Cleaning How do you dispose of empty chemical drums and containers? Are chemical supplier trailers required to use seals or tamper evidence? Procedures for the safe, legal disposal or return of obsolete or out-of-date chemicals and empty chemical containerstainers Looking for a chemical solution preferably with sanitizer for our dishwashing unit