What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Defense - Fencing

Started by , Feb 11 2011 09:01 PM
5 Replies
Hello All --

My organisation is opening a new operations facility. The building was existing and we are retrofitting it to a food processing plant. One of the challenges we face is that we will share a truck court on one side of the site with another warehouse. This poses an issue for our food defense program - how do we control access to our grounds and facility? We are proposing partially fencing the site and using a combination of video survelliance and controlled access to the building (biometric scanners). Will this satisfy regulatory and 3rd party auditors? Has anyone dealt with a similar situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Jennifer
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]
BUMP for Jennifer.
ISO 28000 Security Management system.pdf   261.4KB   84 downloads I recently attended a seminar on ISO 28000 Security management System by Mr Peter Boyce from LRQA and found it to be very interesting. He is the guru of this area. His contact details are: peter.boyce@lrqa.com and he is based in Hong Kong and often travels to globally and also to US.
2 Thanks
Jennifer,
It's my opinion that what you propose would be adequate. When Food Defense first became a hot topic, security consulting firms were recommending virtual prisons as the answer. In the real world, however, your most likely cause of intentional adulteration will be from disgruntled current or former employees who somehow still have access to your facility.
You can spend millions of dollars on external security and not actually make your facility more secure.
Reasonable fencing, external lighting and security cameras, if they are actually monitored in real time and locked doors are more than sufficient.

Marshall
1 Thank
I think that what ever you have right now will be enough for the auditors.

We also have similar problem as you. Initial part of both warehouse and production facility have a common ground where trucks can travel. Rest of the part is covered with gates and fence. We have secured access and camera. Till date we have not faced any problem with audits.

Dave
1 Thank
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces