What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Control of birds visiting the garbage area?

Started by , Jul 07 2011 12:03 PM
6 Replies
Hi,

we recently failed an audit as the audiotor deducted a point when he sighted birds in the garbage area. Is there a way one can control birds visiting the garbage area?

Simon maina
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Questions used to determine the critical control point Control of nitrile gloves
[Ad]
Hi,

How does the garbage area look like?
Is it just plastic bags or different containers?

Anne
Dear smaina,

You might hv replied that the birds were vultures but only appeared when auditors were in the vicinity.

Previous post is relevant. Usually birds = accessible food = storage/hygiene/removal defect (or someone is feeding them ).

Rgds / Charles.C
Tricky. Depends on the type of birds. We found it impossible to control ducks in one site because they wandered in whether there was food or not but with most birds, clearing away the food and keeping waste containers closed then getting rid of perching places should help. Also try and get rid of water sources (e.g. hollows where water gathers when it rains) as many birds will look for that for drinking or bathing.

Of course if it was a kestrel you could have smiled at the auditor and said "meet our pest contractor"
=

1 Thank
Dear Maina,

I think the best way is to put all liter in designated area e.g you can contact garbage collectors in Kenya e.g Garbage dot com to provide lockable skip where you can put liter and the garbage collectors comes at regular intervals to collect.You must also ensure that the area is clean and avoid any food droppings that can attract birds.I hope these are not the giant marabou storks that always perch near the Nyayo stadium.Also, you can contact me so that i can forward you a good pest control firm in Nairobi to give you advice on bird and other pest control management.

Regards,
Kamwenji
Hi Simon,

an easy way of keeping flying birds away from your garbage area is probably to use netting above the area where the garbage is stored and surround the area with some sort of fencing. Netting could probably be made removable for easy access by garbage trucks, if needed. Another idea to stop attracting birds is to keep all garbage in containers with tightly fitting lids rather than to store garbage bags outside a container. Naturally, you have to keep the garbage collection area clean and it should be located as far away from food production areas as possible. All waste material should also be removed from site regularly in short intervals.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Similar Discussion Topics
Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Questions used to determine the critical control point Control of nitrile gloves Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control SQF Requirements - Pest Control Control measure and control points Validation of prerequisites such as pest control Pest Control Risk Assessment Report Form