What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Seeking a factory pen policy

Started by , Jul 21 2011 06:53 PM
10 Replies
Hi

I'm looking for a pen policy, looked through previous forums can't seem to find anything.
In a recent audit we received a recommendation to having a standard pen which has since been implemented now i need to put a policy/procedure in place any ideas folks

Thanks
moochie
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training
[Ad]
You are probably trying too hard to make a simple problem complex.

Your Policy should be something along the lines of:

"All pens used in the production area shall be issued by the company and single piece"

Depending upon your products and processes you could also add that they should be unbreakable and metal detectable.

To implement the Policy you need to identify who is responsible for purchasing and issuing the pens and to include the requirement in staff training.

Unlike knives and blades, it is rarely necessary to include a record of issue and periodic auditing that they are still in existance.

People seem to get obsessed by pen policies. I used to analyse customer complaints for a major retailer often up to 150+ per day and I can't recall ever seeing a genuine complaint relating to pen debris in a food product.
Thanks for that foodworker, like you said trying to over complicate things.
moochie
Hi,

I just read the PAS 220:2008 and it states 'prohibition of carrying of writing implements behind ears'.
That can be a policy, but I would included it in an existing hygiene policy.

Anne
Just make the policy simple and effective as stated by other members above

Cheers

Hi

I'm looking for a pen policy, looked through previous forums can't seem to find anything.
In a recent audit we received a recommendation to having a standard pen which has since been implemented now i need to put a policy/procedure in place any ideas folks

Thanks
moochie

Something like .........We use this sort of pen http://www.detectabl...ome.php?cat=273 they are issued to our staff and logged. Loss of pen is reported and investigated. We check they are rejected by the metal detector (If applicable)

Regards,

Tony
Dear MOOCHIE,

n a recent audit we received a recommendation to having a standard pen which has since been implemented now i need to put a policy/procedure in place any ideas folks

Something suggests to me that there is a story behind this innocent looking comment

Too many pens behind ears perhaps ?

Rgds / Charles.C
Sort of...

We had a sales rep from our CB (registrar) show up one time with pens for everyone. Unfortunately they were all capped pens! I told him to get them out of the plant and don't bring them back.

He sent out new one piece pens about a month later.

Dear MOOCHIE,

Something suggests to me that there is a story behind this innocent looking comment

Too many pens behind ears perhaps ?

Rgds / Charles.C

No story Charles and please don't judge everyone by your own standards
The customer wanted a standard pen so that in the event they found a pen in the product we could rule it out as not being from our site.

moochie
Dear Moochie,

Sorry if I offended yr attention to detail. More of a comment on PAS 220:2008 really.

Rgds / Charles.C
1. Source a suitable 'food safe' pen (that works)
2. Only purchase those pens from this day forward
3. Have a purge on all non standard pens
4. Inform and train operators
5. Audit regularly

No policy required!

Similar Discussion Topics
Managing Customer Audit Dates: Seeking Advice on Rescheduling for Convenience Seeking advice, employer making questionable, inappropriate, and possibly illegal decisions and actions Seeking Advice on Transitioning to a Consulting Role Seeking advice transitioning our HACCP plan into an SQF program Seeking Guidance on Lead Food Auditor Training and Internal Food Auditor Training Seeking US based FDA recognized LACF process authority? Bag opening: Seeking alternatives to knives. Seeking pest frequency risk assessment template Seeking a company that completes magnet pull strength tests on the east coast? Seeking information on setting up a cola carbonated drink factory