What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Stabilizers for sauces

Started by , Aug 28 2011 12:54 PM
7 Replies
Hi All,

I'm a big fan of Chilli sauce like tabasco and I do make my own at home with ground fresh chilli, food coloring, salt, water and vinegar. The problem is that the ground chilies settle at the bottom and the water/vinegar stays on top. I want a consistent product so what kind of stabilizer do I need? At what amount.

Thanks a lot,

Aynstayn
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
[Ad]

Hi All,

I'm a big fan of Chilli sauce like tabasco and I do make my own at home with ground fresh chilli, food coloring, salt, water and vinegar. The problem is that the ground chilies settle at the bottom and the water/vinegar stays on top. I want a consistent product so what kind of stabilizer do I need? At what amount.

Thanks a lot,

Aynstayn

Hi Aynstayn,

You could probably try Xanthan Gum. They are relatively easy to get online.

Happy experimenting.
Hi Aynstayn,

You could also try alginates which are vaibale online and also carragenan gum and Xanthan gum as mentioned by Hongyun.

Cheers

1 Thank
Thank you so much Hongyun.
Try some cold starch. It forms gel while cold.
1 Thank
I think xanthan gum is your best bet. It is acid stable, easily hydrated, etc. you must be careful to disperse it well in your dry ingredients, ie, salt, sugar, spices. It will ball up or leave strings unless plated well. Also, some high shear helps. I have found that oils, if an ingredient, is the best dispersing agent.
Try 0.2% as a starting point for Xanthan gum if that is your choice. I should have mentioned this earlier.
Thank you guys. Such a big help.

Similar Discussion Topics