What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

ISO 22002-1 Section 4.2 Environment

Started by , Sep 14 2011 04:37 PM
6 Replies
Does anybody have any insight and/or examples for Section 4.2 of ISO 22002-1? We must consider potential sources of contamination from the local environment. How can I go about fulfilling this requirement? Thank you in advance for whatever help you may have.

(This is my first post here and I just barely know what I am getting into. I did an extensive search before starting a new topic and couldn't find an answer to this question.)
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS Major Non-conformance on section 1.1.7 Resources Developing an Environment / ATP Swab Program ISO/TS 22002-5 Transport and storage Allergen Management of CPGs in Warehouse Environment Australia Standard for Environment Swabs
[Ad]
OK, after much research, the following is what I came up with. I would appreciate any advice anyone could offer me (i.e., am I on the right track or way off?). My primary work up until now has been in the environmental field (ASTM standards), so this is a whole new area for me to get into. Thank you.

4.2 Environment

The following standards are applied:

· Food facilities are located away from areas which present a potential risk of contamination.

· Food facilities are located away from anywhere were, after considering protective measures, it is clear that there will remain a threat to food safety.

· Food facilities are located away from environmentally polluted areas and industrial activities which pose a serious threat of contaminating food.

· Food facilities are located away from areas subject to flooding unless sufficient safeguards are provided.

As such, I believe that a preliminary search of applicable regulations as well as floodplains would suffice. In the US, this would include State and Federal sources (i.e., NPL, CERCLIS, CORRACTS, (state) Spills, Brownfields, VCP, landfills, etc.).

Thoughts anyone?
I really would appreciate any input at all here. Please help! Can anyone at least point me in the right direction?
Dear jeslyn,

I don't know about the right direction (not my area) but these documents might be of some interest -

a21 - intro. iso 22000 22002.pdf   465.63KB   143 downloads
a22 - summary ISO 22000 22002.pdf   190.64KB   122 downloads

Rgds / Charles.C
Thank you, Charles. At least I know that I am in the right direction. I was hoping, however, that someone could guide me as to what sort of research would suffice for the following statement:

· Food facilities are located away from environmentally polluted areas and industrial activities which pose a serious threat of contaminating food.

How much research and/or analysis must a company do to sufficiently address this? Surely someone here has come across this and had to complete this section? I am in desperate need of assistance! Thank you.
Can anyone provide some real like experience on this question?

Thanks,
Simon
To JesLyn:

First of all, we listed down all the general rules on the suitable location to set up a food processing plant e.g. free from flood, pest etc.

Then, we also identified the neighbouring factories (front, back, right & left) and a location map on this are established. Besides, we also identified what type of businesses they are doing and then we analyzed the potential hazard that may be contributed by the 'neighbours' according to the format we use to analyse Raw /packaging materials & processing steps.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS Major Non-conformance on section 1.1.7 Resources Developing an Environment / ATP Swab Program ISO/TS 22002-5 Transport and storage Allergen Management of CPGs in Warehouse Environment Australia Standard for Environment Swabs BRCGS Section 4.6 risk assessments for version 9 Section 11.7.5.7 - Knife Control of Box Cutters Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Does primary conversion section 5.9 of BRCGS Version 9 apply to lobsters? BRC Section 4.5.3 Air