What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Need some advice on Co-product HACCP Plans

Started by , Oct 19 2011 08:21 PM
5 Replies
Greeting all:

I have had a new issue dropped in my lap. We are a F&V manufaturer, and some of our waste goes to a feed lot for cattle. I must now develop a HACCP plan for this product. I have been able to put together a flow chart but wondering if I need to have a full plan with all forms etc. I do not believe we will have a CCP in place but one never knows. If anyone is doing this already and would care to share it would be greatly appreciated.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Compressor for HACCP Product Labelling Guideline - Russia HACCP and SQF Certification Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving?
[Ad]
Can anyone help Jim?
Hi Jim,

I had the same issue some time ago.
We "produce" some waste that goes directly to animal feed, for example pigs. So i contacted the official vet department and tried to assess what were the requisits for this. i was informed that there are european regulation to control animal feed. So i had to develop a HACCP plan for waste, and it makes sense, since my waste is going to animal that will enter the food chain.

So i had to develop a flow diagram of the waste, starting form the point of its generation on the production line, and its way to storage and shipping.
I had also needed to create a record to control temperature of the waste, and also i had to have a annual analyzes of the waste (micro). I contacted the officials and they told me that once per year i could do Salmonella.

Production waste -> transport to containers -> At the end of the production day, transport to refrigerated container (supplied by the company that processes the waste for animal foodstuf) -> Control temperature -> Each time that the container is sent to the processer, record it for traceability purposes ->1 per year do a micro assay.

So, yes you should treat the waste almost as a finished product because the cattle you are feeding will enter your food chain.

I hope i've helped, but if you need anything more in detail, feel free to ask!

regards,
Paulo
1 Thank
Dear Jim,

I presume FandV is Canadian for fruit and vegetables.

I was not sure if you want A HACCP plan for fruit and vegetables or only the component of the haccp plan relating to waste management.?

The former already exists on this forum if you try searching a little but, from memory, excludes waste management. There are also some (probably) non-F/V, haccp-type analyses for waste management here.

Presence or absence of a CCP basically depends on yr process/inputs/environment of course.

Rgds / Charles.C
Charles. C

We have HACCP plans in place for regular production was just trying to determine how indepth I had to be with the waste and where I should begin my flows. I think Paulo got me going in the right direction and I did receive a plan from GB that I can work off of also.

Regards
Jim

Charles. C

We have HACCP plans in place for regular production was just trying to determine how indepth I had to be with the waste and where I should begin my flows. I think Paulo got me going in the right direction and I did receive a plan from GB that I can work off of also.

Regards
Jim

Dear Jim,

Good to know.

But GB = ?? Great Britain ?, surely not Game Boy

Rgds / Charles.C

Similar Discussion Topics
Compressor for HACCP Product Labelling Guideline - Russia HACCP and SQF Certification Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Implementing HACCP/BRC for a Logistics Company HACCP plan for cold smoked trout HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Dual Label for Single Product (FSANZ & FDA)