What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen Storage - would this conform to SQF requirements?

Started by , Oct 21 2011 03:44 PM
4 Replies
Hi everyone. First time posting with a weird question. I am working on my sqf cert for a freight forwarder and was stuck on the allergen section of the guide. Mainly the storage of allergens. I currently have a place designated for allergens in a cooler that also stores cut flowers that are not meant for human consumption. Is this a safe method of storage for allergens since the flowers are not meant for consumption and the allergens are stored in "ready to sell" packaging ?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]
Welcome retep,

Can you provide a few details? What are your allergens? What are the dimensions of your cooler? What type of cut flowers are you storing?

Regards,
esquef
The cooler is 1000sq foot and I would guess that the cut flowers take up about 500 sq ft of that area. The cut flowers are various kinds and are all sealed and strapped in boxes. No product is left loose. The only allergens stored in this cooler would be milk product,peanuts,tree nuts, soy , wheat or egg. I already have a a larger cooler designated for fish, shellfish and meat product.

Hi everyone. First time posting with a weird question. I am working on my sqf cert for a freight forwarder and was stuck on the allergen section of the guide. Mainly the storage of allergens. I currently have a place designated for allergens in a cooler that also stores cut flowers that are not meant for human consumption. Is this a safe method of storage for allergens since the flowers are not meant for consumption and the allergens are stored in "ready to sell" packaging ?

I'm not seeing an issue on the surface. But the question from me would be how are you storing the products that contain allergens and do all of these products require refrigeration? Are these sealed items. And for meat, shellfish, and fish how are you storing these items and how do you prevent histamine cross contamination?

I'm not seeing an issue on the surface. But the question from me would be how are you storing the products that contain allergens and do all of these products require refrigeration? Are these sealed items. And for meat, shellfish, and fish how are you storing these items and how do you prevent histamine cross contamination?

I would agree with GOC. No initial concerns but your overall storage method is not clear. If they are sealed items there is little concern but if the items are not sealed, you start to get more risk.

Are you items stored on racks or shelves? Do you practice like over like? Are your meats, fish and shellfish segragated? How do you use the items (is everything use seperatelty or mixed together in the end)?

There are to many questions to give a definite answer.

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks